Horse Racing in Leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

There used to be a tack apparently going back to the late 1800's early 1900's. Thwaite Gate I think. Can't find anything else about it on t'internet but I swear i read somehting about it.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

There was a racecourse in this area - but it was a shortlived enterprise and longer ago than you thought. It was called "Haigh Park" and was in an area to the north of Pontefract lane past thwaite gate. It only lasted about 10 years c 1820 to 1830.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Nice one, I thought so. Have you any reference material or links to info?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Google doesn't really throw up much other than the area roughly where skelton grange stood is/was known as Haigh Park
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Reg - My original post was from memory - but I have since checked out my copy of Kevin Grady and Steven Burt's excellent "Illustrated History of Leeds"The Haigh Park race course was near Skelton Grange - where the sewage works are and I assume all trace of it has gone. It was even shorter-lived than I thought. It opened in June 1824 and a crowd of 15-20,000 attended the first day. In an evenly balanced and fair editorial the 'Leeds Mercury' of 26 June 1824 said" The town has been inundated with sharpers, brought from different parts of the kingdom, debauchery and licentiousness have been encouraged, the minds of the people have been unsettled and their morals are in a fair way to being contaminated. A disposition for gambling, so foreign to the prevailing habits of the people of Leeds, has already begun to display itself, and the industry of the labouring classes has suffered a shock from which it will not speedily recover" Despite the initial crowds the course struggled to attract support (too far from the centre of Leeds, perhaps). Burt and Grady mention that other attractions such as wrestling were tried, and I know from research of my own that Leeds Cricket Club used the ground on at least one occasion. The venue lasted only 7 seasons and closed for good in 1830.Previously the main venue for horse-racing had been Chapeltown Moor, which staged races from Ralph Thoresby's time in the 1600's (if not before) up to the Moor being divided up and built on in the early 1800s (the last races were in 1808 I believe) the race-track was in an area North of Potternewton Lane, west of Harrogate Road - roughly west of the 'Three Hullats' (previously the Mexborough Arms, previously The Bowling Green House)It should also be noted that right through to the Victorian era various Moors around Leeds staged Horse racing at more minor levels - particular Woodhouse, Hunslet and Holbeck Moors
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Fascinating. Thanks Drapesy.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

You're welcome - my pleasure

rikj

Post by rikj »

The story continues. In 1883 The Leeds Race Course Company constructed a course in pretty much the same place. It covered 190 acres, starting about where the wholesale market is today. It went eastwards around Skelton Moor House, and Wyke Beck was to be a natural water jump.The first meeting on Boxing Day in 1883 was a disaster as fog covered the area. Subsequent meetings seem to have little more success. On Easter Saturday and Monday in 1884 crowds broke down the hoardings to gain free entry.There was also a proposal to purchase Osmondthorpe Hall for use as stabling and by jockeys and trainers etc. The proposal was abandoned at the suggestion of the jockey club.All this info is cribbed from the notes on the Alan Godfrey Edition 1908 Map of Osmondthorpe and Neville Hill, by Gordon Dickinson.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Wow, well investigated. I did think there was a mroe recent story and you've proved it.

Hector

Post by Hector »

To add a bit more to the last message. The proposal was to build both facilities for horse racing and cricket. From my research it would appear that the cricket pitch was to be centred on Osmondthorpe Lane in the grouns of Osmondthorpe Hall, subsequently occupied by the YMCA. The race course was opposed by the non conformist clergy and the whole scheme seems to have fallen apart because of differences with the propsers of the scheme most notably the owners of Temple Newsam at the time who had extensive land holdings in the area. They in fact owned what is now Neville Hill rail depot, for example.