A narrow passage off Briggate that leads to the wider passage that has the Packhorse pub.

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: Hello again. This origin of the term Loiner, is just one of several theories. I guess we'll never know the real origin.This is an 1847 map of Briggate, showing the yards. Unfortunately, the house numbers are not marked, and I can't remember when house numbering first started. Perhaps Drapesy might know?(PS - Click on the image to enlarge.)     Street numbering seems to be absent from the first directories dating to the late 18th century (whether they were actually absent or just omitted from the directories is a question I cant answer!)By the early 19th century numbering appears in directories - but there are many inconsistencies and , possibly, renumberings. It certainly was the style in early numbering systems to number sequentially along one side of the street, then cross over and carry on back down the other side, rather than the 'odd one side'(usually, though not always, left) 'even the other' that is the norm nowadays. Briggate is numbered in the old style , starting at the Bridge end, as is Kirkgate (starting at the Briggate end)
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.