Large White building on Sharpe Lane

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Phil

Post by Phil »

The Large white building (that is being currently pulled down) was something to do with the Post Office but was also used during the war as Hmm, I forget now, but something military like a check point or the like. The housing development has started but is actually over the bridge on the left hand side. It apparently will strech up to middleton Circus and has something ridiculous like a 800 homes !

south of the river

Post by south of the river »

helloThe developement referred to is called the middleton urban village....it will occupy an area stretching from sharpe lane to approx just behind the st georges centre......nowhere near the middleton circus....building is well under way...four major house builders are involved...it takes up ground which many in middleton thought was an eyesore...a rat run for the off road bikers..and a fly tip too...so cant be bad can it..it will offer many amemities for the local residents and help to enhance an area which has been forgotton...no bad thing that...i understand beneath this area are old mining works filled in many years ago..could well be gases linger under there..cheers

MaidenLUFC

Post by MaidenLUFC »

Phil wrote: The Large white building (that is being currently pulled down) was something to do with the Post Office but was also used during the war as Hmm, I forget now, but something military like a check point or the like. The housing development has started but is actually over the bridge on the left hand side. It apparently will strech up to middleton Circus and has something ridiculous like a 800 homes ! There's going to be approximately 1500 new homes, a mixture of apartments and houses, and towards the south it's going to link onto I think it's Thorpe Lower Lane or Lingwell Gate (A654).

south of the river

Post by south of the river »

had a drive round the new complex at middleton today....Wimpey..Bellway..Barratt..all building...houses..flats..apartments..Looks a really fine developement...Could be 2009 before everything is completed...As the name suggests it will be a VILLAGE,with many amenities available..cheers all

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

south of the river wrote: helloThe developement referred to is called the middleton urban village....it will occupy an area stretching from sharpe lane to approx just behind the st georges centre......nowhere near the middleton circus....building is well under way...four major house builders are involved...it takes up ground which many in middleton thought was an eyesore...a rat run for the off road bikers..and a fly tip too...so cant be bad can it..it will offer many amemities for the local residents and help to enhance an area which has been forgotton...no bad thing that...i understand beneath this area are old mining works filled in many years ago..could well be gases linger under there..cheers The ventilation shafts are still down there fenced of with danger signs plastered all over them. Incidentally there is a vent shaft on the path that runs alongside Hunslet Boys club playing field.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

south of the river wrote: had a drive round the new complex at middleton today....Wimpey..Bellway..Barratt..all building...houses..flats..apartments..Looks a really fine developement...Could be 2009 before everything is completed...As the name suggests it will be a VILLAGE,with many amenities available..cheers all just like the Heritage Village? I wouldn't hold your breath. amenities take up space that houses could fill.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Phil

Post by Phil »

And, it will be in Middleton, how nice can it be.....really??

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Well it's sort of Robin Hood / Thorpe / Belle Isle really not Middleton but it WILL suffer from location. Imagine some yuppie type taking a Sunday Morning stroll and stopping off for a Pimms at the Omnibus?I mean the local schools may not be to the taste of someone with £350 to spend on a house.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hey, theres nothing wrong with Middleton, every area has its problemsMiddleton Lad
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Well saidMiggy lad also!!!