Street Lane - Moortown

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I have heard that Street Lane in Moortown - Actually, runs from Moortown Corner, right the way to soldiers field, is a Roman Road.Quite obvious and plausable really as all yer have to do it is look it at to see why!It's almost dead straight, flat and really long - Are they or are they not charicteristics of a Roman Road?Would be great for some more info on this but I think this really is a long, long shot.....Thanks!
Simon -H-

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

simon2710 wrote: I have heard that Street Lane in Moortown - Actually, runs from Moortown Corner, right the way to soldiers field, is a Roman Road.Quite obvious and plausable really as all yer have to do it is look it at to see why!It's almost dead straight, flat and really long - Are they or are they not charicteristics of a Roman Road?Would be great for some more info on this but I think this really is a long, long shot.....Thanks! Hi simon2710 Its got a lot going for it Street can be roman as in Ermin Street you also had the big Roman Camp at Adel.I dont think any proof has been found of Roman occupation in the city center i should think someone on here will know more about this than me.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I think it's unlikely. It's not straight and it doesn't seem to have any obvious continuation lines at each end. By the way, it starts at King Lane, not Moortown Corner.Elemete Lane, the other side of the Park, certainly looks old to me.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

wasn't there some sort of roman dig at allerton high school before the new school was built? that would tie in with with the king lane leading onto street lane thing. hhhhmmmm....allerton's website seems to be down at the moment though so can't check

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

oldleedsman wrote: I think it's unlikely. It's not straight and it doesn't seem to have any obvious continuation lines at each end. By the way, it starts at King Lane, not Moortown Corner.Elemete Lane, the other side of the Park, certainly looks old to me. Opposite Elmete Lane and in the fields behind the old school and church is the site of a Roman Alter, found in 1880, Roman coins were found around the old limestone pits in Monkswood, south of the Ring Road at Seacroft. Seems to suggest there was once a presence perhaps.

liits

Post by liits »

There seem to be quite a lot of "Roman remains" around Leeds. I lived in Garforth for a while [and this was in the early days of metal detectors] and did lots of "detectoring" around Sturton Grange Farm. The farm had allegedly been the sire of a Roman camp / fort. While this may have been true, we found only two coins which, by all accounts, could have been found in any field.

Si

Post by Si »

There was an archaeological dig in Otley recently, prior to the new Sainsbury's being built. They were hoping to find evidence of Roman occupation. They found nothing but Victorian buildings, I'm told.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Originally Street lane only went as far as Park Lane, coming from Moortown and was only extended in the late 19th Century When Prince's Avenue was built. Street Lane ends at the Canal Gardens (well, just a bit further up) and Prince's Avenue takes over. Note it is Prince's Not Princess as it was named in commemoration of Roundhay Parks opening by Prince Arthur.It's unlikely Street Lane is Roman, originally it wasnt very long. More likely the Allerton High stuff is associated with Adel and the road North of Alwoodley Lane which is Roman (cant get along there now though).Leeds was possibly the site of Campodunum, some finds were made on Quarry Hill which Thorsby notes in DL, but other than that Leeds itself is not thought to have been important in the grand scale of things.

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: Leeds itself is not thought to have been important in the grand scale of things. Were not famous anymore........Sorry, wrong forum..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

simonm wrote: LS1 wrote: Leeds itself is not thought to have been important in the grand scale of things. Were not famous anymore........Sorry, wrong forum.. Just like out football team!!