Back to Backs

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Misc

Post by Misc »

Oof, a fair bit more than that I bet!My friend did the same with her kitchen, it was lovely. I wonder what the original tenants would make of such things?

Si

Post by Si »

Well, once they'd got over the shock of being catapulted forward in time, they'd find a modern cooker, decent electric lighting, central heating, damp-proofing, etc etc etc much preferable to a range, gas mantles, coal fires and damp walls. All the free time this would give them, would enable them to catch up with all the soaps!Mind, being Leeds folk they'd soon tell us how they miss black-leading the range and donkey-stoning the step!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Apart from the kitchen can you imagine their surprise at NOT having to stumble down the street in the middle of the night to take a forrest!!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

simonm wrote: Apart from the kitchen can you imagine their surprise at NOT having to stumble down the street in the middle of the night to take a forrest!!     Hi simonm We did not do that at night we had guz unders Si is right it was a shock when we moved. We went from Hunslet to Saxton Gardens kept trying to blow the lights out. He He.    

Misc

Post by Misc »

Lol! We've got a lot to be grateful for these days when you think about it. I'm really glad I live in a time of washing machines and duvets not to mention electric kettles and tea not being on ration I don't know how people stood that, I really don't.

Samson

Post by Samson »

To add to the 'difficulties' of back to backs were the outside shared toilets.Experiences I have no doubt that we will keep to ourselves!!Does anyone know if they still hang the washing out across the streets like they used to do in the 50's? I remember seeing this in a couple of streets in The Charltons near East End park about 20 years ago, but I do not know if it goes on now?
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Sometimes in Harehills you do see them hanging out the washing accross the streets. It is much rarer nowadays but I saw it a few weeks ago when I was driving up between Roundhay Road and Harehills Road.

Si

Post by Si »

There's too much traffic these days to put the washing up in the street. You're likely to go out to bring the washing in, only to find your best table-cloth wrapped around the windscreen of a car embedded in the side of a bus!

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Misc wrote: Lol! We've got a lot to be grateful for these days when you think about it. I'm really glad I live in a time of washing machines and duvets not to mention electric kettles and tea not being on ration I don't know how people stood that, I really don't. Hi Misc It was not as bad as it may seem thats how every one lived so it was the norm.If you look at how we live now then it does give you that impression All i can say is if i had my life again i would not change my early years it taught you to be greatfull for what you had got and not to yern for things you had not. I have had this philosophy all through my life and it has served me well.

simonm

Post by simonm »

sundowner wrote: simonm wrote: Apart from the kitchen can you imagine their surprise at NOT having to stumble down the street in the middle of the night to take a forrest!!     Hi simonm We did not do that at night we had guz unders Si is right it was a shock when we moved. We went from Hunslet to Saxton Gardens kept trying to blow the lights out. He He.     I never realised you used the guzunder for big jobs. I always assumed it was for number 1's. There is no way my wife would put up with that from me I'd be living in the celler if it were nowadays... hehehehe
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"