Natural underground caves of Roundhay Park?

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes. It gets photographed a bit by the flickr lot. Thats the only way i got to know about it...
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

rikj

Post by rikj »

Yes, the Kirkstall one (Abbey Light Railway I think) runs on a Sunday. Though I don't think you can guarantee it will be running every Sunday. As far as I know it's a labour of love for a man and his family. May be wrong. Certainly some fine little engines. Funny to think that engines like these regularly were running arounfd the streets in Leeds!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

rikj wrote: Yes, the Kirkstall one (Abbey Light Railway I think) runs on a Sunday. Though I don't think you can guarantee it will be running every Sunday. As far as I know it's a labour of love for a man and his family. May be wrong. Certainly some fine little engines. Funny to think that engines like these regularly were running arounfd the streets in Leeds! I think there even built in Leeds by Hudswell or Hunslet!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I don't know about any caves in Roundhay Park but what's this in the lake.This isn't a new photo, there are caravans in the caravan park on Elmete Lane which closed about four years ago.It looks to be in the water but is bigger than the cars on the lakeshore. Could it be a flock of birds?
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Martyn wrote: I don't know about any caves in Roundhay Park but what's this in the lake.This isn't a new photo, there are caravans in the caravan park on Elmete Lane which closed about four years ago.It looks to be in the water but is bigger than the cars on the lakeshore. Could it be a flock of birds? How weird!Could it be a number of ducks/geese landing on the water?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It could be Nessie, driven south from her natural home by all those Nessie-hunters?Whatever it is it looks wierd. I've spent many a day at Roundhay Park and I've never seen anything like that.Before the waterfall (overflow) at the end of the lake was removed there used to be a tunnel under the old swimming pool you could access either at the foot of the waterfall or via the old overflow culvert but it's a few years since I've been down there so I've no idea if it still exists.I went to Braimwood School in the late 70's / early 80's and we spent no end of time exploring the park and surrounding area, even the dreaded "Devils Canyon" in the Gorge, but I can't recall ever finding any caves.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jf

Post by jf »

There's been plans to extend the Kirkstall railway southwards - I believe when Morrisons was constructed a bridge was included in the development to allow the railway to cross one of the local watercourses should it ever head in that direction.It's also been suggested that the railway could form part of the planned development of the Kirkstall Valley as a park, linking up to Armley Mills at the south, which already has a collection of Narrow gauge locomotives. I think it's quite an ambitious proposal myself.