The Blackmoor Tunnel

Places to explore
AliB

Post by AliB »

Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Ems6258 wrote: Hi!Im doing a project on the eccup reservoir, blackwell tunnel and seven arches aqueduct for my history degree.does anyone know the best place to get information?im getting quite a bit of conflicting evidence about date of cnstruction ect!! Don't know of a Blackwell tunnel - you must tell us more so our intrepids can investigate.This site will however give you a quantity of definitive information about the Blackmoor tunnel if you search for it. If you find anything new, we would appreciate you sharing and adding it to that which many people spent many months deducing for Secret Leeds.(Duplicated thread deleted)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

AliB wrote: Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps. These have been moved now, to the archives at Sheepscar. (Just so you dont have a wasted journey!)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

LS1 wrote: AliB wrote: Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps. These have been moved now, to the archives at Sheepscar. (Just so you dont have a wasted journey!) The minute books that is not the arches before someone says summat!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: LS1 wrote: AliB wrote: Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps. These have been moved now, to the archives at Sheepscar. (Just so you dont have a wasted journey!) The minute books that is not the arches before someone says summat! Arch ives! very good Lee

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: LS1 wrote: LS1 wrote: AliB wrote: Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps. These have been moved now, to the archives at Sheepscar. (Just so you dont have a wasted journey!) The minute books that is not the arches before someone says summat! Arch ives! very good Lee I bet they will make interesting arch-eology in time to come!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: LS1 wrote: LS1 wrote: AliB wrote: Hi EMS6258. If you go to the local history section of either Leeds Central Library or else the library next to the Penny Fun pub at the Moor Allerton shopping centre ask to see a copy of The Structural Engineer magazine which includes a paper 'The Leaning Towers of Adel'. This includes quite a bit about the history of Seven Arches Aqueduct and Blackmoor and also an account of the stabilisation of the aqueduct in 1999. It also includes a list of references. The minutes of the joint venture company that built the Aqueduct and the tunnel are stored at Leeds Civic Hall (in the basement). I hope this helps. These have been moved now, to the archives at Sheepscar. (Just so you dont have a wasted journey!) The minute books that is not the arches before someone says summat! Arch ives! very good Lee I bet they will make interesting arch-eology in time to come! Oh no - here we go again, more archetypical comments to come I suppose (will never beat dot though)

Ems6258

Post by Ems6258 »

haha yes i meant Blackmoor!!id just been to Blackwells bookshops so it was probably stuck in my head...thanks for the correction and also the information!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Ems6258 wrote: haha yes i meant Blackmoor!!id just been to Blackwells bookshops so it was probably stuck in my head...thanks for the correction and also the information!! Ok we'll let you off - our humour can rille folk sometimes.On the serious side, our search tool is not the best but your research skills should let you get round it, there really is alot of information in here much of which you will be hard-pressed to find elsewhere - this came mostly from, people. Basically, it's all there on a plate - but you have to feed yourself.It's there to use, would be nice if that is remembered in your bibliography and please remember many of the pictures have copyright conditions attached. Good hunting, and do share anything new you find or maybe even sight of the finished item    

Ems6258

Post by Ems6258 »

Fantastic!Thanks!!I particularly need to find out who constructed the tunnel, the aqueduct and the arches and why. Ill have a good luck on the site and ill let you all know if i find any new information once the project is done!!Hope this gets me at least a 2:1 ha!!