The Blackmoor Tunnel

Places to explore
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Ems6258 wrote: Fantastic!Thanks!!I particularly need to find out who constructed the tunnel, the aqueduct and the arches and why. Ill have a good luck on the site and ill let you all know if i find any new information once the project is done!!Hope this gets me at least a 2:1 ha!! Corporatin minute books in the central library are invaluable, all the inforamtion you will need will be in there if no-where else. I did my dissertation on the development of Parks and Parkland in Leeds and used these as they talk about 3rd party contractors, people involved with building and creating things and all sorts. You will find the contractor who built the tunnel elswhere though, just have a look in the central lib. Worth mentioning all the records of the corporation before about 1890 (i think) are at the Sheepscar archives as mentioned before so you will have to call WYAS (the archive service) and get along there. Also may be worth you looking in Wakefield at the land registry archives as it tells you who owned what land and when and to whom it was sold!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 04-Mar-2011 15:13:42.    Edit | Quote Courtsey of "old maps" and their 1851 Adel map you can see marked the exact shape and position of the Wetwood aqueduct, a sister aquedcut to seven arches in Adel woods.However in 1851 a reference point is weetwood farm, a later map I have shows Weetwood grove and fox hill as buildings. Today there's the donkey sanctuary and a nice building on the right as you go down the lane so it's a bit hard to superimpose the exact position of the aqueduct into a more up to date map not knowing which was which and what was what. Landscaping should have obliterated it all, but it's southern entry back into a conduit may have the odd trace if I know exactly where to look!Any mapping experts? TasaUser Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 442 posts # Posted on: 04-Mar-2011 16:05:26.    Delete | Edit | Quote The Parksider wrote: Courtsey of "old maps" and their 1851 Adel map you can see marked the exact shape and position of the Wetwood aqueduct, a sister aquedcut to seven arches in Adel woods.However in 1851 a reference point is weetwood farm, a later map I have shows Weetwood grove and fox hill as buildings. Today there's the donkey sanctuary and a nice building on the right as you go down the lane so it's a bit hard to superimpose the exact position of the aqueduct into a more up to date map not knowing which was which and what was what. Landscaping should have obliterated it all, but it's southern entry back into a conduit may have the odd trace if I know exactly where to look!Any mapping experts? The aqueduct was to the East of Weetwood Lane and crossed what is now the Ring Road after skirting the edge of the cricket field on this Google Maps link. http://local.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=5 ... =17There's an entrance into the woods from the Ring Road, roughly opposite the bus stop marked on the Google Map near where Weetwood Lane crosses the Ring Road, and the path from here to The Hollies follows the water course, above an old quarry which is marked on some old maps and you may be able to use this to place the aqueduct. If you follow the path to The Hollies, you'll notice manhole covers at regular intervals, which presumably lead into the underground water course.I hope this makes sense - it's a couple of years since I walked this route!     chameleonUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 4780 posts # Posted on: 04-Mar-2011 19:26:31.     Delete | Edit | Quote Tasa wrote: The Parksider wrote: Courtsey of "old maps" and their 1851 Adel map you can see marked the exact shape and position of the Wetwood aqueduct, a sister aquedcut to seven arches in Adel woods.However in 1851 a reference point is weetwood farm, a later map I have shows Weetwood grove and fox hill as buildings. Today there's the donkey sanctuary and a nice building on the right as you go down the lane so it's a bit hard to superimpose the exact position of the aqueduct into a more up to date map not knowing which was which and what was what. Landscaping should have obliterated it all, but it's southern entry back into a conduit may have the odd trace if I know exactly where to look!Any mapping experts? The aqueduct was to the East of Weetwood Lane and crossed what is now the Ring Road after skirting the edge of the cricket field on this Google Maps link. http://local.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=5 ... =17There's an entrance into the woods from the Ring Road, roughly opposite the bus stop marked on the Google Map near where Weetwood Lane crosses the Ring Road, and the path from here to The Hollies follows the water course, above an old quarry which is marked on some old maps and you may be able to use this to place the aqueduct. If you follow the path to The Hollies, you'll notice manhole covers at regular intervals, which presumably lead into the underground water course.I hope this makes sense - it's a couple of years since I walked this route!    This is the one you believed you had found trace/remains of in the woods to the south of the Ring Road wasn't it Parksider? Top The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 05-Mar-2011 09:44:02.    Delete | Edit | Quote [quotenick="Tasa"]The Parksider wrote: Courtsey of "old There's an entrance into the woods from the Ring Road, roughly opposite the bus stop marked on the Google Map near where Weetwood Lane crosses the Ring Road, and the path from here to The Hollies follows the water course, above an old quarry which is marked on some old maps and you may be able to use this to place the aqueduct. If you follow the path to The Hollies, you'll notice manhole covers at regular intervals, which presumably lead into the underground water course.I hope this makes sense - it's a couple of years since I walked this route!    It makes more than sense Tasa, your a star.I'll try running back from the manhole covers, but wonder wether these will be associated with the conduit? For inatsnace are there similar manhole covers on the north side of the ring road along the conduit's course?Thanks....    The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 05-Mar-2011 09:50:27.    Delete | Edit | Quote chameleon wrote: This is the one you believed you had found trace/remains of in the woods to the south of the Ring Road wasn't it Parksider? The "remains" were very inconclusive, it wasn't even as if I had found the base of any of the (I would guess) several stone pillars. It may have been wishful thinking that I found anything.But by noticing the aquaduct actually on the 1851 map I feel an accurate transposition onto a modern map could pinpoint it's exact position.Hoever my problem is interpreting the buildings on the 1851 map against the buildings today to get accurate reference points.I am also not assuming that Weetwood Lane today takes the exact course it did in 1851. If it did and the Donkey sanctuary WAS weetwood lane farm then I could use that and another reference point to pinpoint the aquaducts crossing position over the beck - assuming again the course of the back hasn't changed.From that I could search in the right position!!!! Top TasaUser Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 442 posts # Posted on: 05-Mar-2011 12:11:49.     Delete | Edit | Quote I think these maps will help! I'm going to post four maps from the 1850s, 1930s, 1950s and 1990s. The one from the 1850s actually marks the course of the Leeds Water Works Conduit and the aqueduct itself. The road which it crosses in this map is Smithy Mills Lane. The quality is dreadful but it's the only one I can find which marks the conduit.Looking at the four maps in sequence, I think the Ring Road is now directly over the site of the aqueduct. You will need to click in the box with the cross to view the map, as the uploading isn't working properly at the moment! Top TasaUser Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 442 posts # Posted on: 05-Mar-2011 12:18:05.     Delete | Edit | Quote And finally the 1990s!Good luck with your search! Top The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 05-Mar-2011 20:44:50.    Delete | Edit | Quote Well it seems to me the key is wether the Old-maps repro is the same scale on the website as the stated scale of 1:10,560.If so the 7mm from weetwood lane to the aqueduct represents 75 meters down from weetwood lane as you walk along the ring road easterly.The point at which you reach it is the track into the woods from the ring road crossing the beck. At this point you can see a lot of stonework to form the opening of the beck from under the ring road and again stonework either side of the track over the beck.It may be feasible to deduce the stonework is all reclaimed off the old aqueduct and Tasa is part right - some of the aquaduct is under the ring road, but the rest still had to straddle the beck.I was very comfortable with that notion and proceeded to follow the track to the Hollies and eventually the waterworks. Yes there were plenty of drain covers. Which ones were connected with the conduit and which ones simply crossed the path/conduit on their way to the main sewer down the Meanwood valley I don't know, but to me I am not sure that the manholes are anything to do with an early victorian conduit.On my way back the problem I had was that when I got to the promontry that looks across to the cricket field and looks likely to have been a "launching pad" for a significant aqueduct the track back to the beck actually descends - and water can't run uphill.OK so maybe the original track from then on was higher than it is today because it would have had to met the level of the aqueduct, and not the bridge, and thus I would place the aqueduct where the bridge over the back is now, but it would be nice to know for sure! Top JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 03-Feb-2012 18:59:53.    Delete | Edit | Quote parkyI found this searching on google for something else.Did you find this, does it/did it exist? Found this."The 1838 plans called for a new 250m gallon reser­voir at Eccup, with water from there being taken through the 1.5 mile Blackmoor Tunnel (where more water was collected) to the Adel Beck. An aqueduct would carry the water across the valley and the water would then run in an open conduit to Headingley, from where it would be piped to properties in Leeds....In addition to the Blackmoor Tunnel contract, in late 1840 Shaw and Briggs were awarded the contract to construct the water conduit from Blackmoor Tunnel to Headingley. This contract must have included the Seven Arches Aqueduct and it appears that they were permitted to see it through to comple­tion in May 1842.." Top TasaUser Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 442 posts # Posted on: 03-Feb-2012 20:37:19.     Delete | Edit | Quote Since Jogon has added to this thread, I've realised that two of my posts with the maps have disappeared since last year - no idea why!The maps which are missing are the 1930s and 1950s - the 1930s map is attached to this post (click on the red cross to view), with the 1950s map in the next post.     Top TasaUser Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 442 posts # Posted on: 03-Feb-2012 20:41:30.     Delete | Edit | Quote 1950s map. Top JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 03-Feb-2012 23:12:14.    Delete | Edit | Quote chameleon or someonemight this need to be merged with http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ssage=50So to get this straight (and help those new to this topic - I am) Eccup Reservoir was built with the Blackmoor Tunnel bringing the water through to the Seven Arches Aqueduct in Adel Woods.It was then taken from there by Dunstarn Farm via covered channel to Headingley.Anyone know of it's original full route? Overlay if you're techy onto current one? CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 00:17:45.    Delete | Edit | Quote That's it and it's still the same course.     The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 01:16:31.    Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: parkyI found this searching on google for something else.Did you find this, does it/did it exist? Found this."The 1838 plans called for a new 250m gallon reser­voir at Eccup, with water from there being taken through the 1.5 mile Blackmoor Tunnel (where more water was collected) to the Adel Beck. An aqueduct would carry the water across the valley and the water would then run in an open conduit to Headingley, from where it would be piped to properties in Leeds....In addition to the Blackmoor Tunnel contract, in late 1840 Shaw and Briggs were awarded the contract to construct the water conduit from Blackmoor Tunnel to Headingley. This contract must have included the Seven Arches Aqueduct and it appears that they were permitted to see it through to comple­tion in May 1842.." Well that is an interesting find.I find it fascinating and yet frustrating that your quote makes reference to the seven arches aquaduct twice, but ignores the second aqueduct completely.I cannot find a single stone to tie in with the second aquaduct....Geordie-exileUser Location: TynesideJoined on: 06-Feb-2008 22:39:43Posted: 885 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 09:52:05.    Delete | Edit | Quote Is this any help?http://www.ontapwaterfilter.com/news-ab ... /JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 10:42:13.    Delete | Edit | Quote parksiderLink to full text of extract I gave. http://anbeal.co.uk/sevenarchesaqueduct.htmlProblem is that the 'Seven Arches' "draws fire". It is famous, it was almost a tourist attraction (previously with cafe).Like many, I had never thought of 1. It's inflow THE BLACKMOOR TUNNEL.and to me more interesting2. It's outflow (Leeds-bound) "...A reser­voir at Eccup, with water from there being taken through the 1.5 mile Blackmoor Tunnel (where more water was collected) to the Adel Beck. An aqueduct [7 Arches] would carry the water across the valley>> and the water would then run in an open conduit to Headingley<<, from where it would be piped to properties in Leeds."...In addition to the Blackmoor Tunnel contract, in late 1840 Shaw and Briggs were awarded the contract to >>construct the water conduit from Blackmoor Tunnel to Headingley<<..""...However the arguments for public ownership finally carried the day and the waterworks were taken over by the Leeds Corporation in November 1852 for the sum of £225,730 19s. 2d [5].Following the takeover by Leeds Corporation, a 40in (1m) diameter >>cast iron main was laid to replace the open conduit from Blackmoor Tunnel to Headingley<<. The Seven Arches Aqueduct was taken out of use in 1866, having carried water for only 24 years. In 1891, a second 42in (1.07m) cast iron water main was added, also on the east side of the Aqueduct, and in 1897 a second Blackmoor Tunnel (1.8m diameter) was constructed .."And it is this CONDUIT from 7 Arches to Headingley that we must find.    JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 11:03:35.    Delete | Edit | Quote I'd like to track the whole thing from 7 Arch though lot of new build etc. Image of Weetwood Aqueduct can't load JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 11:05:51.    Delete | Edit | Quote CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 13:34:32.    Delete | Edit | Quote All subsequent pipe follows the same course as the original conduit from seven arches to headingley. I don't want to post a plan for obvious security reasons but it's not hard to work out and I've givena written description of its course on the other thread linked earlier in this thread. There maybe some stonework left though but now covered and in filled.. Geordie-exileUser Location: TynesideJoined on: 06-Feb-2008 22:39:43Posted: 885 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 14:27:23.    Delete | Edit | Quote Security reasons? Are there dastardly aqueductial deeds afoot? JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 14:34:13.    Delete | Edit | Quote A plot was uncovered to pump raw Tetley Bitter into it. Horrific stuff. Eeuugh. Geordie-exileUser Location: TynesideJoined on: 06-Feb-2008 22:39:43Posted: 885 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 14:40:00.    Delete | Edit | Quote CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 16:24:35.    Delete | Edit | Quote Geordie-exile wrote: Security reasons? Are there dastardly aqueductial deeds afoot? Not really but posting schematics of my employer's strategic supply network would probably be frowned upon at my quarterly perfomance review. It's not exactly a secret or hard to find but I'd rather not risk it. This sort of thing is going on elswehere and makes the security manager a little jumpy:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... probe.html Top chameleonUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 4780 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 16:26:14.     Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: A plot was uncovered to pump raw Tetley Bitter into it. Horrific stuff. Eeuugh. Wiggy (you won't have seen him I don't think Jogon) would say - worse still, Adnams     Top The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts # Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 17:07:07.    Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: 2. It's outflow (Leeds-bound) the water would then run in an open conduit to HeadingleyAnd it is this CONDUIT from 7 Arches to Headingley that we must find.    The course of the open conduit is marked clearly on the 1851 ordanance survey maps. It is easily traceable across the fields of Dunstarn Farm north of the ring road on a map.Looking at the text it appears the brick lined open conduit may have been dug out and a pipe laid I don't know if the pipe has gone too?Certainly the author left out the fact that there was a second aqueduct to cross the beck that flows by the Ring Road at Weetwod Lane.On a "field trip" badly prepared without exact overlays of the old 1851 conduit course on a large scale local map i can only conclude the aqueduct crossed where todays path crosses from the ring road gate to go round the hillside to headingley/the holliesWalking that path the levels are such that I can't really trace anything that looks line a line along which an old conduit could have delivered water to weetwood filter beds.On the path there are various drain covers old and new to tease one, but I had to give up not really having much of a clue how to find somehing of the original conduitFor me it needs a very skilled to scale overlay of the 1851 conduit line onto a modern large scale map    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

THE FOLLOWING CONTENT HAS BEEN MOVED HERE FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO PROVIDE CONTINUITY.(hope I've got it all in order)CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 17:18:24.    Edit | Quote Along the track to the north of the cricket pitch, straight over Smithy Mills Lanes and then curve south to head under the ring road towards the path that leads to the hollies and running under it from there. Top The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 17:27:17.    Delete | Edit | Quote Cardiarms wrote: Along the track to the north of the cricket pitch, straight over Smithy Mills Lanes and then curve south to head under the ring road towards the path that leads to the hollies and running under it from there. Aha - a skilled professor of all things local and water based........Do you think the conduit, after its course past the cricket club ran along the current path from the ring road along the hillside in the woods with the aquaduct bringng the whole thing level to ensure the free flow of the water?Once they got rid of the aquaduct (It's not on any 1892 map) any pipe that relaced an open conduit would have to have dipped down and come back up wouldn't it? plus if the supply pipe is along the current path that path rises.Would there have been pumps working anywhere? Or did it all have to be level for a gravity flow??Top CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 17:53:08.    Delete | Edit | Quote All gravity and still is AFAIK.Top The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 18:21:05.    Delete | Edit | Quote Cardiarms wrote: All gravity and still is AFAIK.Does the pressure of the water from high up in the reservoir push the water in the pipes such that it doesn't matter if the pipe runs go up and down along the way, as long as Weetwood is lower than eccup?If that works for a closed pipe that wouldn't have worked for an open conduit hence the second aqueduct..... CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 18:43:13.    Delete | Edit | Quote Exactly - the original conduit was basically roman technology where you have a channel with a very very shallow gradient, needing aquaducts to cross valleys . The Pont Du Gard in France being one of the most famous (I've walked across the top and straight into the nearest laundrette after!). With a closed pipe the head of pressure is enough to push the water through. Because it is in effect 'uncontrolled', all those manhole covers hide valves that can shut off the flow in the event of a burst/maintenance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_du_Gard    JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 19:05:04.    Delete | Edit | Quote Ref the conduits, roman tech but still clever stuff (though pipe+force+gravity better).I've read about Madeira's clever "Levada" system which brings clean water from the north down mountain channels to the south(?), and there was ours, shortlived. I'm getting a bit too fixated on Adel Beck, Meanwood Valley (this kinda part of it), Golden Acre, Damstones Lane and surrounds.Must get out more.CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1904 posts# Posted on: 04-Feb-2012 20:38:39.    Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: Ref the conduits, roman tech but still clever stuff (though pipe+force+gravity better).Gravity is cheaper than electricity ;-D     The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1111 posts# Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 07:30:16.    Delete | Edit | Quote Cardiarms wrote: Exactly - the original conduit was basically roman technology where you have a channel with a very very shallow gradient, needing aquaducts to cross valleys . The Pont Du Gard in France being one of the most famous (I've walked across the top and straight into the nearest laundrette after!). With a closed pipe the head of pressure is enough to push the water through. Because it is in effect 'uncontrolled', all those manhole covers hide valves that can shut off the flow in the event of a burst/maintenance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_du_Gardmystery solved thank you.......As for the second aqueduct I can only conclude that it was made of stone quarried from the quarry at Foxhill, through which both the open channel and todays pipeline run, and that it was completely dismantled for the stone to be re-used. Given quarries often were created to build adjacent structures maybe the grand house named Foxhill which post dates the second aqueduct is made of that stone.JogonUser Location: the cardie armsJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 382 posts# Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 11:13:29.    Delete | Edit | Quote In terms of seeing it 'as was' Riki's posts were v. helpful on the Blackmoor Tunnel thread:-choosing the right date map and full screen then pan + zoom (also your own computers top left view/zoom/%sizes1Go to Old-maps.co.uk 2Enter co-ordinates [427600] [438600] That should put the second WEETWOOD aqueduct in the centre of the screen current date map.3 Choose top right 1851 map, enlarge map4Hit bottom left red icon blow it up huge5At the lower part of this view there is zoom, pan left up down etc and full screen so you can follow the channelAlso remember that Weetwood Farm is Hope Pastures donkey sanctuary, weetwood lane = same, no ring road so at junction looking left to right = 1851 = Adel Ln - Long Causeway - Smithy Mills LnI cant add pdf screen print showing this.        chameleonUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 4779 posts# Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 13:34:15.     Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon - the site only accepts uploads in jpeg format I'm afraid.chameleonUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 4779 posts# Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 13:53:31.     Delete | Edit | Quote As a second thread on this long running topic, I never expected it to turn up so much or provide answers to much of the speculation of the original thread. Indeed I think that as Jogon suggests, it would be appropriate to move this to the originalhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... 0Hopefully this will avoid future users missing a lot of related data. I hope Parksider will concur with this.Unfortunately there isn’t tool to move content as such so, it will appear ‘en mass’ under my ID. I’ll then close this thread    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The ParksiderUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Nov-2007 08:25:38Posted: 1112 posts # Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 14:19:55.    chameleon wrote: I hope Parksider will concur with this.You can always take my concurence as read.....Once the snow clears I'll be back for another look... Top JogonUser Location: 18 New Station StreetJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 383 posts # Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 14:35:44.    [quotenick="chameleon"]As a second thread on this long running topic, I never expected it to turn up so much or provide answers to much of the speculation of the original thread.Matthew 7:7It's all in there. If you look for it. Top chameleonUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 4784 posts # Posted on: 05-Feb-2012 14:41:58.    The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: I hope Parksider will concur with this.You can always take my concurence as read.....Once the snow clears I'll be back for another look... Thanks Parkie. I suspect that given the size of the pipe those manholes you found may be rather large - take a packed lunch and shout if you come out anywhere near Kirkstall Abbey

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: MOVED HERE FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO PROVIDE CONTINUITY. A good way to see part of the conduit/pipeline today is to go on Google Earth.You can see a line in the grass in the fields just south of Dunstarn Farm. It comes out of the woods heading south then bending west and passes through several fields and is where the overlying turf differs in colour enough to create a discernible line, spot on with the 1851 course....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: MOVED HERE FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO PROVIDE CONTINUITY. A good way to see part of the conduit/pipeline today is to go on Google Earth.You can see a line in the grass in the fields just south of Dunstarn Farm. It comes out of the woods heading south then bending west and passes through several fields and is where the overlying turf differs in colour enough to create a discernible line, spot on with the 1851 course.... Yes indeed - I thought we had a picture of that but I don't see it anywhere. I think Google may have updated their images, it doesn't seem quite as distinct as it was but it's certainly there.It should be on this image - start at the red circle and follow the line down and roud the cricket pitch.
Attachments
__TFMF_uan2vr555lt3be55pb3gsq45_c6128057-7693-4060-b956-d7411bcc8ba2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uan2vr555lt3be55pb3gsq45_c6128057-7693-4060-b956-d7411bcc8ba2_0_main.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 3623 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Between 7 arches and the conduit coming out of the woods, there seems also to be 'Scotland Mill Dam'.Cycled the whole route on Meanwood trail leeds-bound and at about that point there seemed to be stuff going on 'top right' ie S.W.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

chamelThank you, yes it was.This site is amazing. I came across parky's Weetwood Aqueduct on a google search for something else. Quite by accident. Never heard of it, and yet clues and bits tie in.One thing that is useful when out and about is to trust your instincts and think about things. 7 arches case point, to my mind just one bit of something more interesting. Why is it there, what came to it, and where after.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon wrote: chamelThank you, yes it was.This site is amazing. I came across parky's Weetwood Aqueduct on a google search for something else. Quite by accident. Never heard of it, and yet clues and bits tie in.One thing that is useful when out and about is to trust your instincts and think about things. 7 arches case point, to my mind just one bit of something more interesting. Why is it there, what came to it, and where after. There is so much going (and has gone on around us) I think we take much for granted and often don't apreciate what's there.Looking from a different perspective and considering the often different interpretation of others can reveal so much - and on here, a chance comment often opens up new avenues to explore.