Possible Tunnel???

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: How big is that hole you took the photo through Leodian? Hi Phill. I just placed my camera at a narrow gap in one of the slated frames in the wall. I was a bit surprised really that I got the inside which was not as bright as it looks.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: How big is that hole you took the photo through Leodian? Hi Phill. I just placed my camera at a narrow gap in one of the slated frames in the wall. I was a bit surprised really that I got the inside which was not as bright as it looks. Ok thanks, I've passed the spot many times, but never noticed a human size hole before, wishful thinking then
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: How big is that hole you took the photo through Leodian? Hi Phill. I just placed my camera at a narrow gap in one of the slated frames in the wall. I was a bit surprised really that I got the inside which was not as bright as it looks. Ok thanks, I've passed the spot many times, but never noticed a human size hole before, wishful thinking then Sorry to spoil your hopes Phill.

jim

Post by jim »

Another thread I haven't come across before. If you cross reference this with my post of 21 March 2010 on P8 of the "Leeds City Stations Lost World" thread, there is further information on this area.It will also be of interest to note that for a good few years - more than thirty - there was an engine shed here. It can be seen on the 1906 Godfrey Holbeck and New Wortley map, and the various arches mentioned would have been directly beneath the shed. I believe that it was built by the NER and was a sub-shed to the roundhouses on Wellington Road, and probably like them would have been made redundant when Neville Hill depot was built in around 1910. The area survived as an open servicing facility until near the end of steam. "The Directory of British Engine Sheds Vol 2" gives its "in service" dates as 1871 - 1904, and records it as subsequently demolished (nd). It also says that the servicing area closed some time in the 1950s. I would beg to differ on the latter point, as I was responsible for the maintenance of the compressors on the site at various periods, and am convinced that although the turntable had gone, I am sure that the site was still used for loco stabling etc. into the 1960s.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that information Jim.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hi Jim.They still stabled locos there till 1982, although you never got more than three locos parked up at any given time. The track was lifted then. http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/ ... p?id=24294    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for that Phill. I was certain that the 1950s date was wrong, but uncertain as to exactly how long it continued!