Possible Tunnel???

Places to explore
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

slw wrote: Pic showing other entrances ?????????????/ that's a long long way from the dark arches lol nice mosaics by the way.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah i've been admiring that mosaic in Kos but can't see the dark arches anywhere... Hasn't the pic uploaded on here then SLW?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

slw

Post by slw »

Having problems with pic.... cannot get it to upload. Given it up as a bad job and just put it on Flickr(Thanks for comments about mosaics too)

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thats a good angle shot there slw. It looks a pretty vast area under there. I would say it was all the storage warehouses that catered for the goods carried by canal boat. You can see the 2 different eras of stone & brickwork. The stone has a coping edge stone so it wasn't always like it looks now i'd say.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

I am here. I think these storage areas which are in the original picture are actually owned by British Waterways, though. An entirely different kettle of fish...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks for that munki. It would make sense i suppose. I can't say they'd have much in there these days would they?

slw

Post by slw »

Phill_d wrote: Thats a good angle shot there slw. It looks a pretty vast area under there. I would say it was all the storage warehouses that catered for the goods carried by canal boat. You can see the 2 different eras of stone & brickwork. The stone has a coping edge stone so it wasn't always like it looks now i'd say. Thank you. There is another blocked up entrance behind the tree, unfortunately I only got the one pic as the batteries in my camera died. It would be interesting to find out what they were used for. I see them (just about) everyday and have often wondered where they go and what they were used for.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Nice bit of investigating work there slw.. I've seen some pics of this area in days gone by.. I'll dig about a bit when i get time & see what i can find!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Walked into town past these entrances t'other day and took a closer look. along the canal, the slatted entrances seem to go much further back and along than they openly appear to. However, next to the last slatted window arch, going away from town, is a steel door. I always assumed it was another entrance into the interior of the wall? As I passed, I took a closer look through the crack between the door and frame, as it seemed wider than normal and was amazed to see steps going up to the top of the wall, as though an entrance to a station????? I have looked on Leodis and can see nothing that seems to resemble this area, so does anyone know what used to be "up there", on top of the wall? From the google earth image further up the thread, I can't seem to see the steps at all. So, my theory of a tunnel is obvious cack and they don't go as far as I had hoped they would.. Oh well, hey ho!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Simon. That area above used to be a stabling point for the locos, They did away with it in the mid 80's when everything got sent down to Holbeck m.p.d instead. There was a water tower there for refilling the steam engines which suprisingly lasted into the 80's as well. My guess is those stairs where for access to fill the water tower up from the canal. There would have been some sort of pump i would have thought. I'm sure there were several railway related buildings up there as well. Leeds main signal box used to be around that area but i think it's all controlled from York these days!
Attachments
__TFMF_cwedip55s0n0rk453itatk55_9f45d02c-dabc-4ae1-9195-babb5e026a7e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cwedip55s0n0rk453itatk55_9f45d02c-dabc-4ae1-9195-babb5e026a7e_0_main.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 2526 times