tunnel in wortley

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: Leodian wrote: There is a letter about the tunnel in Wortley on page 15 of today's YEP. There is a letter on page 15 of today's (September 11th) YEP in its Yorkshire Diary section that is a reply to the letter in the YEP on August 14th. Today's letter mentions the Secret Leeds website and the information in the letter about the tunnel in Wortley is clearly taken from rikj's message of August 25th 2007. The Secret Leeds website's fame is spreading.      Makes a change for the source of the info to be mentioned, doesn't it..? That's true.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Most interesting. Thanks for adding that old map Hippo.I'm guessing those tunnels are still under there to be honest. The new factory seems to be built where the old fireclay works was. There was a Capstan winch/hoist around the large crater area looking at your map. Hi Phill_dvsnI'll curious whey they needed these quarrys at all since there was an industrial tram that carried clay from the Busk pit on Wortley Rec. Unless these pre-dated the tram line.And where was the windmill on windmill hill in the Godfrey map?Interestingly another thread showing another "Windmill hill" in Pudseyhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... ght=1Shows a similar pit with tunnel - can't understand why they went to the trouble of making a tunnel and didn't carry the material over ground     well whilst at my history group today we had a gentleman doing a talk on Windmills of West Riding, and he mentioned the one at Wortley, so much so, he has and old map, and clippings about the Windmill.he is going to send me a copy so will post it up soon as i recieve it. but the windmill was actually where the quarry was, which is the back of the Elite Factory now. just where you mention the capstan Hippo!. If you look at Tithe map you can see the circle of the windmill on the 1836-1851 map. Weenie