Meanwood Beck

Places to explore
simmo

Post by simmo »

Have a look at this.Rare crayfish in Meanwood Beck!http://www.igreens.org.uk/meanwood_beck ... ate_20.htm

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

wrong post
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

wrong post sorry!!! :=/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Bunk3r

Post by Bunk3r »

simmo wrote: affectionately called Egg and Pongo, as it smelt like bad eggs down there. just a note to add to that, the smell of Eggs in a drain is an indication that you need to turn round and get out of there ASAP, as H2S (hydrogen sulphide) smells of eggs. H2S will knock you to the floor if strong enough, or if you breath lesser quantities for long it will poison you. the other catch is it makes you quickly loose your sense of smell, so you cant rely on that (not that you should anyway)H2S is usually in sewers and found less in culverts but it does happen. I know the beck used to have issues with sewerage overspilling into it and this has improved with time, from the cesspit it was 100 years ago to the occasional spill 10 years ago and work was done more recently to keep sewage out so hopefully this will have reduced the H2S risks. Phil.D when you went down you took a gas monitor, what were the readings and smells like at the time you went down? (i say when you wend down as a warning to others as just because the gas might not be there now it can come back).

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Bunk3r. Good topic to bring up especially as it's the invisible killer! Suprisingly for a fresh water culvert there is the 'bad egg smell' of H2s, Which is rather strange as there's numerous fish swimming in the channel in the tunnel section near East street all the way up to Cross Stamford street indicating clean water! The gas levels were pretty good in the longest mabgate-armouries section peaked at 08ppm but the air was really thin & oppresive and i was bloody glad to feel a good draught blowing nicely from the Aire as we approached the newer split culvert section. The sound of water giving a good old roar effect from the dam nearby. Very impressive almost like the sound when you go to a fairground with all the generatos going best describes it! Maybe due to the summer heat building up down there even in a T-shirt it was oppresive! The tunnels were nice & clean in this section with all the debris flushed out from the heavy floods in june/july! I believe the section nicknamed the egg & pongo is the corrogated tunnel just after the new concrete box section of the first tunnel from Buslingthorpe lane! Once again it lived up to it's name & levels went medium 13ppm suprisingly near the exit! Bad egg smell throughout but thats even along the open air journey too! I think there were 4 bad blockages & the water has built up deep under Cross stamford street near the Roscoe due to a rather worrying wall collapse that hasn't come from any area we passed! Frightening to think were it had travelled from!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Funny you bring the beck up! We tried out my mates vid cam mode on his camera down there just to see what the quality was like for maybe doing a more proffesional thing somewhere later. The funniest bit is when we were doing a long exposure light paint shot & the camera was still in the video mode & i started to get a little bit ratty not realising it was recording my little outburst! A bit like Laurel & Hardy i suppose! After all it was very late & we'd been at work all week! Temper temper :-))

simonm

Post by simonm »

Both of you. Thanks very much for sharing the dangers of these places. I don't think many would have assumed it could be so dangerous in the middle of the city thats so busy...I'm a tad worried now that people may try to walk these stretches without the propper gear.Thanks for highilghting it!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well said Simon.. To be honest one look at the tunnel entrance will put 99% of most people off, Then i give it 100 yards into the tunnel as total darkness ascends & the 0.05 will leg it back, This is the pic we were trying to achieve when we realised the cock up & put the camera in the right mode!
Attachments
__TFMF_srelaz55v2qcqk45mvaa0255_e99e084c-3fd3-4c4a-a584-b3eb1ca6b041_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_srelaz55v2qcqk45mvaa0255_e99e084c-3fd3-4c4a-a584-b3eb1ca6b041_0_main.jpg (593.93 KiB) Viewed 3565 times

simonm

Post by simonm »

Got to say Phil, your bulb photography is cracking. Well done mate for all your recording of these places! Would love to travle these one day with you, to see em before a lot of em go tits up. keep up the good work mate!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Cheers si. yes August theme of the month has been past explores captured at night as i think a little bit of experimenting is called for in rediness for munkis Leeds light night in October. Friday nights have been chosen for some daring re runs of past missions, To start the ball rolling we braved the old mansion at midnight followed by the nocturnal underground deep & wet tunnel explore last week! This friday is no exeption as my camera is on charge, Torches getting packed away as i speak in readiness for a rendevous somewhere to the West of Leeds city centre 20.45 precise...This hour will enable us to take advantage of the falling dusk to get in position in rediness for the night to fall in total stealth mode. We will have another L.H.E.S member in attendance with 3 invited guest for a contrast to last weeks deep & wet explore tonight where going up somewhere high & dry!! The Leeds Historical Expeditition Society could strike somewhere near YOU! Ha ;-))