A girder where the River Aire once ran under the station.

Places to explore
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

This is the "Canal-River" link then?Seem to recall there was a power station oppo on Aire Street and this neatly allowed coal load there.Winter pic, then one from oppo
Attachments
__TFMF_2rtnqa55qtfboibgmhot0jqs_e0dc95f5-23a5-4736-834e-bada72e6d448_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2rtnqa55qtfboibgmhot0jqs_e0dc95f5-23a5-4736-834e-bada72e6d448_0_main.jpg (189.87 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Pic from oppo.I'd love a look in there, but I'd mainly like to see what's under the straight-ahead river bit / blocked off Swinegate Goit. Probably a bit scary down there
Attachments
__TFMF_2rtnqa55qtfboibgmhot0jqs_b9760d9a-61d1-4d53-b803-f333f5becf9b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2rtnqa55qtfboibgmhot0jqs_b9760d9a-61d1-4d53-b803-f333f5becf9b_0_main.jpg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Pic from oppo.I'd love a look in there. Not that much in it Jogon As far as you can go cos the door is locked     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill that's great thanks.And there was me imagining stuff down there

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Phill that's great thanks.And there was me imagining stuff down there Ah yes, but it is 'the secret door' Jogon, your either going to find a friendly gent donning a fezOr the secret monks tunnel on the other side of it     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Fascinating photos Phill. Just to help me in my confusion are those scenes in the old water channel at the site where I took the photos? If so what happens when the river is in flood as the grid structure will not keep water out?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Fascinating photos Phill. Just to help me in my confusion are those scenes in the old water channel at the site where I took the photos? If so what happens when the river is in flood as the grid structure will not keep water out? Yes all those shots are in the same tunnel, the tunnel floor is sloped and concreted just higher than the river level The water may lap inside a little, but not too far.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: Fascinating photos Phill. Just to help me in my confusion are those scenes in the old water channel at the site where I took the photos? If so what happens when the river is in flood as the grid structure will not keep water out? Yes all those shots are in the same tunnel, the tunnel floor is sloped and concreted just higher than the river level The water may lap inside a little, but not too far. Cheers Phill. I wonder what would happen if the door was open when there was a flood of biblical proportions!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.