An old water course under the old railway embankment near Scarcroft Mill site.

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Cardiarms and Phill for your information. Hope you find it Jogon. The whole area is well worth looking all around from the very impressive high bridge that the Scarcroft to Thorner road runs over with its deep embankment and a usually sodden track, to Pompocali and Hetchell Wood/Crag. When I first came on the area around 20 or more years back there was still a lot of the old mill still standing (including what seemed clearly to be the position of a water wheel).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Yorkshirerose

Post by Yorkshirerose »

The big house at Scarcroft which was taken over by the Y.E.B was originally owned by a family and my uncle was chauffeur to them. My aunt and uncle lived in one of the cottages at the main gate. The house was turned into a hospital for wounded soldiers during the war. Is it still owned by the Y.E.B. ?    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

May be of interest.Early twentieth century image showing a body of water surrounded by a pathway and seating, entitled @Boating Lake'. On the right is a one storey brick out building possibly toilets or some sort of pavillion. It is thought to be Thorner fish pond, situated on the footpath from Wetherby Road which crosses over the fields to Thorner village. It was formed by damming Scarcroft Beck and had a sluice gate that provided a head of water to Scarcroft Mill. Evidence of this can still be seen today. Nowadays, however, the area is overgrown but can still be walked around.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Yorkshirerose wrote: The big house at Scarcroft which was taken over by the Y.E.B was originally owned by a family and my uncle was chauffeur to them. My aunt and uncle lived in one of the cottages at the main gate. The house was turned into a hospital for wounded soldiers during the war. Is it still owned by the Y.E.B. ?     Yes but I think they are YEDL now.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

High body count for a small place, Scarcroft twinned with Midsomer?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

(T'other thread banished as requested Leodian)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: (T'other thread banished as requested Leodian) Thanks chameleon for deleting my unintended double post as I requested.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: May be of interest.Early twentieth century image showing a body of water surrounded by a pathway and seating, entitled @Boating Lake'. On the right is a one storey brick out building possibly toilets or some sort of pavillion. It is thought to be Thorner fish pond, situated on the footpath from Wetherby Road which crosses over the fields to Thorner village. It was formed by damming Scarcroft Beck and had a sluice gate that provided a head of water to Scarcroft Mill. Evidence of this can still be seen today. Nowadays, however, the area is overgrown but can still be walked around. I know there has been debate in SL in the past about where this photo was taken. I still think the land is much too flat for the photo to have been taken in the area close to Scarcroft Mill. If it was then there has been a massive change to the landscape compared to the general area today.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bigger lake back up the stream at back of YEB.http://g.co/maps/f2ja3But again in a wooded valley. The leodis pic all too flat.Not enough folks out there to fill the bench seats either