Tunnels Under The Nag's Head, Chapel Allerton?

Places to explore
TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

I'm told by one of my relatives I found on Genes Reunited, that my great great uncle owned The Nag's Head pub, Chapel Allerton, around the turn of the 19thC. Apparently, there were lots of stories around smugglers and body-snatchers associated with this pub; and under the stone flags of the cellars, my great uncle, and his brothers found a black door, beyond which was a deeper cellar which led out onto a tunnel.The underground passage led to a neighbouring churchyard, and at the end of the passage was a stone slab with human remains on. Sounds like it was a body-snatchers' hide-out.Anyone else ever heard of this or know more? I'd love to find out more about it. All we know is the landlord was with his brothers - one of them may well have been my great grandad. The story didn't survive and get handed down on my side of the family, so this was the first I heard of it, when contacted by my relative.I'd love to know more and maybe find out if it's still there?    

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Not a branch of the Allerton Grange- Kirkstall Abbey tunnel by any chance
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It sounds a bit like the tale of the secret passage from the Wrens pub near the Merrion to the nearby Grand theatre. A passage reputedly built for actors to nip across for a drink during shows. I believe we even had a poster on S.L talk about it when the site first started, he'd seen it himself whilst working as a barman there.To cut a long story short-the then Landlady of the pub got in touch with me on facebook. That was going back about 3-4 years ago now. She asked me to take a look at this bricked up archway, so armed with lump hammer and bolster I descended into the beer cellar, only to find a bricked up beer drop for beer deliveries of yesteryear!             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Oh yes, we mustn't forget the Mabgate pub secret tunnelhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/429320917/Which reputedly came out at the Palace pub.There is also the secret Kirkstall Abbey tunnel that comes out in the cellar of The Abbey pub down Pollard Lane. The secret tunnel that runs up Briggate from the cellar of the Duncan pub on Boar Lane. Anymore I've forgotten?        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

There is an old ancient well I do believe somewhere in those parts of Chapel Allerton. Perhaps Steve Jones might know a bit more about this one, he's the Holy spa and wells expert of old Leodis!     

liits

Post by liits »

I don’t suppose your relative was one of the Boothman brothers..?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I was in the Nags Head from about 1976 to 1983.I recall an old well in a walled garden off Lidgett Ln (wrong side of valley).    

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

D'you think all these tunnels join up somewhere? :-)I'm also slightly worried about the potential subsidence caused by all this tunnelling - one day the whole of Leeds might fall into a gigantic hole.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

leedslily wrote: D'you think all these tunnels join up somewhere? :-)I'm also slightly worried about the potential subsidence caused by all this tunnelling - one day the whole of Leeds might fall into a gigantic hole. Could mebbe be the basis for Leeds's own "underground" rail.p.s. it was a joke....doubt that this forgotten neck of the woods will ever do better than a bus(bendy or otherwise).....or as the 110 arriva service would try and have you believe....a virtual"bus" plane with departure gates at Leeds and Wakefield stations.Talk about the poor relation...Anyway,good luck with tunnels........hope you can post some more...
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Jogon wrote: I was in the Nags Head from about 1976 to 1983.     I used be a regular there on a Friday night from 1976 to 1979. A few of us used start off in the Regent and end up in the Nags Head (or vice versa). Those were the days !! PC