YEP hidden Leeds 'Down the drain' feature.

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The third instalment of Neil Hudson's very interesting reports on hidden Leeds is on pages 18 and 19 of the YEP today (Oct 5 2011). Headed 'Down the drain' it is about part of the sewer system. The report starts "Believe it or not, it is possible to walk all the way from Kirkstall to Cross Green without crossing a single road and without seeing a single soul. But it's unlikely you would want to try the six mile trek - becuase if you did, you would be walking in one of Leeds's largest sewers".That sounds like a visit I would be willing to undertake! If there was an online link to the report I could not find it when I posted this.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Rejoice! The Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel was right under our noses all the time!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jim wrote: Rejoice! The Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel was right under our noses all the time! Albeit not built by the Monks tho'.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Chrism wrote: jim wrote: Rejoice! The Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel was right under our noses all the time! Albeit not built by the Monks tho'. How do we know that the Victorian's didn't stumble across the Monk's tunnels and just lined them with bricks?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Damn, our secret is out.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It;s on the website now but the video is a cctv video of an old sewer before and after it's spray lined, not one of the big ones.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: The third instalment of Neil Hudson's very interesting reports on hidden Leeds is on pages 18 and 19 of the YEP today (Oct 5 2011). Headed 'Down the drain' it is about part of the sewer system. The report starts "Believe it or not, it is possible to walk all the way from Kirkstall to Cross Green without crossing a single road and without seeing a single soul. But it's unlikely you would want to try the six mile trek - becuase if you did, you would be walking in one of Leeds's largest sewers".That sounds like a visit I would be willing to undertake! If there was an online link to the report I could not find it when I posted this. If I recall from the book, 'Hidden Beneath Our Feet' Cardi -'The flow in the sewers as they approadh knowstrop (at Cross Green) is so great, it is imposible to enter them'. I remember also a tale of a chap loosing his footing there and not being found until he reached the screens. Would be a difficult walk - anyone seen Mr Hudson recently.......?(Sorry Neil if you are looking in) Here's the link for completeness -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... _1_3841183

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Standing on the gantry over the inlet at the works after a rainy couple of days is quite exhilarating. Sewers are dangerous don't go down them.