Underground Crypt & Sewer

Places to explore
oldboy2011

Post by oldboy2011 »

ive recently moved into a new build house that according to the surveyor is built on top of a crypt belonging to a church or chapel (now long gone) and massive victorian sewer system thats now no longer used that leads all the way to leeds town centre, the surveyor says both are quite a considerable size,apparently you could drive two transit vans side by side in the sewer with no problems, hes seen them both and said it showed on the map the sewer went into leeds but didnt say where to, the crypt is aparently still there meening that it wasnt filled in then built on top of, just built straight on, we got talking about these because i was asking about this smallish metal cover in the corner of my garage that i was told i wasnt to disturb or cover over when i moved in. the whole cul-de-sac is built ontop of a hill which has a small stream running round the back at the bottom, i have noticed that there is a half buried bricked up entrance/exit behind alot of overgrown bushes and grass just to the side of the bridge, its really got me interested about what im living above, ive checked a couple of old maps but couldnt see anything, what scale map would show me any underground features of this type? are there maps that show just underground service routes ie for sewers or that type of thing (dont know if a sewer is classed as a service tunnel although it does provide a service!!)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Welcome! Tell us where you are and I'll tell you tomorrow. Street name will do.

oldboy2011

Post by oldboy2011 »

ah now thats a secret until i can confirm for defo somethings there worth lookin at and then we can all jump down through the cover, just need help with what maps to use

kango

Post by kango »

Secret tunnels half buried entrances??PHILL WHERE ARE YOU? IT'S MINERS LAMP TIME!!!    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

oldboy2011 wrote: ah now thats a secret until i can confirm for defo somethings there worth lookin at and then we can all jump down through the cover, just need help with what maps to use I work for YW so I can check the maps at work and let you know.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

as for old maps try the museum for the godfrey maps and oldmaps online.

oldboy2011

Post by oldboy2011 »

thanks mate , appreciate it

Tony Love

Post by Tony Love »

Im up for this one, sounds interesting. Let me know if I or my research team can assist in any way.

weenie

Post by weenie »

My house is a newer house (well built 1990's) and we are on the underground reservoir. and right outside my front door is a manhole cover, and on the old godfrey maps shows a shaft right in the same place, apparently the people before me had to have it recovered as it fell in, and you could see all the big pipes...... im dying to go down there one day.!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Why doesn't he just open the lid and have a skeg inside?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.