Whitehall Road Power Station Tunnels

Places to explore
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi folks!There has been a lot of talk over the years about tunnels that once led from the old Whitehall Road power station into central Leeds. See this post from the BBC website:Brian Norman:"There is a more impressive tunnel system under Leeds town centre. These were the tunnels for the Leeds Electric Company and started from the Long demolished Whitehall Road Power Station. I remember as an apprentice back in the 60's exploring these tunnels and some of the places where we came up to the surface were incredible. Some were filled in and blocked off to prevent entry into some of the department stores and even banks. It may be that they are still there waiting for someone to explore again. "I know that on Queen Street and nearby there are some old cast iron vents still visible, Phil Davison has posted some pics of them on FLickr but to date it seems that nobody knows much more about them, has anyone got any more info? I was thinking maybe it might be possible to lower some kind of camera / light on a rope / cable down one of these vents to have a peek inside, unless somebody can find out where there is and gain access for a proper explore? I would have thought this was more intriguing than the urban myths about the Kirkstall Abbey tunnels that seem to have been debunked. Somebody tell me what is down there, I must know!Johnny
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'll post the link to the info I have for anyone who hasn't yet seen it Johnny.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/4414470091/    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Absolutely intriguing Phil! I had a look at your pics on Flickr again, The 'subway' grates on Kirkgate look a little small for any kind of access unless I am getting the scale all wrong, looks about 18" x 24" approx? Maybe an inspection grate? I wouldnt like to get gripped by the police or town centre security while trying to prise one of these up! Although I guess if you were to wear a high viz vest / hat etc and looked kinda official they might turn a blind eye, interesting...I guess if they are still in use (which judging by the modern looking Whitehall Road substation they are) then access will be prohibited from a security as well as safety point of view. I mean you could easily get zapped by some of the high voltages, and if these subways do run into the basements of banks / hotels / department stores / municipal buildings / hospitals etc then none of these places or the electricity companies are going to want or encourage people to be wandering around them. Still it demands exploration by someone, and the publication of photos / maps etc. Hopefully something will happen soon...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

The Doggers

Post by The Doggers »

Just make sure you don't wind up arrested under anti-terror laws if you do go trying to get in!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yep, I can taste the 'all day breakfast' they will be serving me through the hatch at the Bridewell now...! You know the last place I got stopped by site security was at the old Sandoz factory in Calverley, the tosser took a photo of me for their reference, because as he told me I was probably 'doinga recce' to return later with my 'gypo' mates. The cheek of it!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

As an aside - does anyone know what "Whitehall" the name refers to - is there a White Hall further up the Whitehall Road?

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I'll post the link to the info I have for anyone who hasn't yet seen it Johnny.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/4414470091/     As an oldie(very!)Loiner, I seem to recall from my childhoodyears (1930 early 40's) that,at the bottom of Ventnor Streetand it's junction with Kirkstall Rd, there was a similar cast ironvent which was something to do with the tram route along Kirkstall Rd. I remember it was painted grey and stood outside a Publichouse on the pavement. You could hear a distinct electrical humthrough the top vents and also the sound of running water.On this copy I have, marked: 25" OS Sheet 218.1 1933 ed.,there is a black spot marked "TCB". (Could it mean, "Tramwaycircuit breaker?"). I haven't been along Kirkstall Rd for yearsso it could have disappeared with the lovely trams! This copystill shows tramlines on Burley Rd and up Bellevue Rd also!There is another TCB shown on Burley Street near Park Lane.Hope this info is of use?Cheers,Arry

patter

Post by patter »

jonleeds wrote: Absolutely intriguing Phil! I had a look at your pics on Flickr again, The 'subway' grates on Kirkgate look a little small for any kind of access unless I am getting the scale all wrong, looks about 18" x 24" approx? Maybe an inspection grate? I wouldnt like to get gripped by the police or town centre security while trying to prise one of these up! Although I guess if you were to wear a high viz vest / hat etc and looked kinda official they might turn a blind eye, interesting...I guess if they are still in use (which judging by the modern looking Whitehall Road substation they are) then access will be prohibited from a security as well as safety point of view. I mean you could easily get zapped by some of the high voltages, and if these subways do run into the basements of banks / hotels / department stores / municipal buildings / hospitals etc then none of these places or the electricity companies are going to want or encourage people to be wandering around them. Still it demands exploration by someone, and the publication of photos / maps etc. Hopefully something will happen soon... There's some very similar grates opposite the bus station & up towards the co-op on York St, next to or lining up with much larger concrete GPO hatches.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There are two large GPO hatches in Spring road Headingley, the falst bit on the chapel lane end. About 6x4. Circa 1940.......

MaidenLUFC

Post by MaidenLUFC »

"TCB" may stand for "Telephone Call Box/Telephone Coin Box" - this is a common acronym withim BT for phone kiosks.