Dissapearing tunnel

Places to explore
The Doggers

Post by The Doggers »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Great pictures Phill. I've been interested in the pudsey loop since i was a kid and have got to agree with your comments. i could guarantee the traffic into town from west leeds during rush hour would be so much less if this line was still open. The new station is just too far from any large population areas for it to be of any use.I keep meaning to take a walk round the loop but have never got round to it, i really need to get my skates on if i want to see the tunnel in all it's glory before the landfill. Things like this need to be preserved.It's strange but a mate of mine a few weeks ago asked me why there was a pub in pudsey called the Railway as in his words "the railway is miles away"!!! The ignorant fool has lived in pudsey for years and never once thought about all the bridges that he drives over everyday!! The problem is, Farnley, that Leeds does basically nothing on a significant public level to advertise its history or anything like that. I am learning stuff all the time from these web sites that I think "wow, amazing" about but would never have known of otherwise. BTW I'm 25 (old in my view but probably a kid to some on here) and I love learning about Leeds' heritage and history. I have actually vowed to teach my dad to use the computer as he is a MASSIVE history buff. I think it so unfair that there are sites like Leodis out there etc and he has no access to them. He would absolutely love them.There's actually a pic of a house I grew up in on Leodis Anyway, back to the topic at hand!

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

HelloLike to pictures of Pudsey Green side, I don't live far from Green side. I was given a Book "Railway memories no4 - Bradford" it has some good pictures of Green side and Lowtown station. I found the odd picture of Stanngley and Bramley station. I would like to see more of these two areas for possible plans on modelling in OO-Gauge model railways, can anyone help?ThanksMartin Levin
Feel free to add to to your MSN.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

edgey2001 wrote: The line in Nottinghamshire that re-opened is called the Robin Hood Line and the tunnel that was re-excavated was called Annesley Tunnel - Cheers Edgey, thanks for that, I remember reading about it at the time and the fact they were surprised how well the tunnel had survived, a true testament I think

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

hmmmm .. I've actually got a blue LNER 'PUDSEY GREENSIDE' station sign and a LNER street direction sign for the same - both slightly battered enamel but I guess of interest?

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

It would be intresting to see a picture of them. As you are located Thailand, according to your profile, it would also be intresting to know who they came in to your hands. If you ever consider selling I might be intrested.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

ummm .. thats not Mark Levin by any chance is it? Had the signs since I was in my teens and when I lived in Bramley, can't even remember how I got them - I do remember being given a huge detailed hand drawn map of ALL the lines in Yorkshire that I was told had been recovered from the old Bramley signal box .... still have that too, surviving remarkably well given the climate out here! Everything came with us when we relocated here about 5 years ago ....

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

No Martin Levin.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

well Martin I'll do one of those new fangled digital photos over the weekend and and post em on here ...

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Hi folks done a bit of work in tunnels in the past strange        places .worked on contract Li ghting the track for ballast cleaning and track laying fixed lights all the way through morley tunnel to the roof that is. Used to. come out black as the ace of spads soot at least one inch thick worked in woolley edge and arthington i did notknow    what pitch black was till i went into the tunnels.I did not think there were things like ghosts not sure now.some have a room cut into solid rock this is for safety reasons .you need somewere to go with a train on both tracks

weenie

Post by weenie »

whilst i was out and about today i took a more detailed look of buildings and things and noticed that when i went down ledgard way towardds eddy's motorcycles i was looking at that building on my left, the one on the embankment nr Armley Mills and noticed that there was an arch bricked up, as i know that this building is linked to Armley Mills i thought it might have been a link way but then i thought its a railway embankment at t'other side? just thought i'd mention it here.