Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Great work Phil, top shelf all the way. As I'm in the construction game and involved in many new large box culvert installations, the old constructions photos are of a great interest to me. Great brickwork back in them days ,you would be hard pressed to find that kind of workmanship nowadays.Keep up the good work Phil, and look forward to more of the same in 2011 .Meery Christmas to you and all the best for 2011Cheers Yorkie Brisbane very wet / 25c
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

And a Merry Christmas to you good sir, and all the other Secret Leeds guys from me.Cheers everyone     

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Phill, marvellous thread, and a phenomenal amount of work.I notice from the 1847 Godfrey map that the present outfall route into the river was then identified as "mill race", implying that the now abandoned Steander/Timble Beck route was the original outfall. Both were heavily surrounded by mills, dyeworks, and other concerns. There must have been a fair number of waterwheels driven by the watercourses, giving purpose to the weirs you describe.The 1906 Godfrey map marks part of the area enclosed by the two routes as "Fearn's Island, which might be due to that enclosure.

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

What a great collection of pictures, nice one. Brought back many memories as we used to play in and around all the Mabgate area.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Nice to see it all together in one place phill and a lot of new stuff too - can always tell when you're upto summ'at - goes very quiet with an odd cryptic comment now and again!!Your earlier concerns - provided people post NEW MESSAGES rather than 'quote' to comment, I don't think space will be a problemAnything simple planned for tomorrow like excavating the Pennines again to pass the time, hmm?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That is a superb exploration and historical set Phil. I was in the North Street/Sheepscar and Mabgate areas just a few days back and I looked at the exposed parts there and saw some of the views you have taken photos of.I bet you were very relieved when the set loaded OK into the SL website. I've not yet fathomed out how to download more than one photo in a single message! It's good that you are prepared to venture into the underground parts of the beck and record the scenes, as I would not dare do so (it does not though seem to bother the graffiti artists!).    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

beast

Post by beast »

thats a superb set of photos. I remember the section over East Street at Steander quite well. Near Battys brushworks and the Waterloo pub, and I was having a look at the Mabgate/Hope Rd section the other day.Hopefully in Spring next year a few of us are going to explore it all setting off from Meanwood.