Horsforth Kirkstall tunnel

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Oh erm.... Divulge the L.G.E.S secrets???? A bit of a tip tho Mike... You'd be wasting your time during the Summer... The vegetations going mad @ the mo!! Maybe a chilly old December morning may be best... And if your looking for big holes then don't.. more like rat holes to be honest...
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

mike

Post by mike »

Yer, good point about the plants.... Hmmm. Well, I supose maybe now or in the autumn? Sometime def!And you seem to be trying hard to persuade me not to go... Have you got some sort of treasure stashed away in those holes? lol (besides the tunnel)So have you been down there, Phil?Mike
Mike

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Seriously Mike. You'll not find them.. If you've looked @ my photo's before you've probably seen your mystery tunnel :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

mike

Post by mike »

hmmm...Well, If you've found them and been in (yeh, i loved looking through your pics!) then I'm still guna check it out. Who knows, luck may be with us lol! Failing that we can just give up and spend the rest of the day at the Abbey Inn!Cheers!*edit: 'Mystery Tunnel' did you mean it like that?! I just noticed!Althought your advide about G/E won't be much help by the looks of things!
Mike

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well the Abbey pub sounds good to me for drinks... You don't want things given to you on a plate Mike.. It's a good oppurtunity here to fine tune some research & exploration skills! Rise to the challenge my friend ;-)

Foustace

Post by Foustace »

i think im onto something with this =]i posted an article on a BBC site yesterday but then i read the comments on the webpage to find this:"Stevie BI used to live on Clarence Road in Horsforth and as a child, used to explore the tunnel between newlay lane (about 300yds from the manor house, as I remember)and kirkstall Abbey - in the late '50's, you could not follow it all the way in one go, as parts had collapsed. My friends will also remember these "explorations"!! "Could this be anything to do with it?I'm trying to use google earth to get a general idea of where the tunnel enterence is =]If i find it and go in ill let you know =]

Foustace

Post by Foustace »

oh yeah about the holes, ill take some pictures and draw a map and upload it later to make life easier for us all =]

mike

Post by mike »

It was the very same site & quote that got me interested in finding this tunnel...Although, I never managed to find anything I've been round there a couple of times, and recently its impossible to find anything as its been so wet all the weeds are massive and everwheres very overgrown!Good luck though....
Mike

Foustace

Post by Foustace »

i walked past them today a few times =]i know where they are pretty well because i used to walk through those woods every day =]

mike

Post by mike »

oh wow sorry I didn't know.Did you try to go down any of them?I'd love to be able to go down a section that isn't totally caved in, just to be able to walk/crawl/squeeeeze through maybe 50yrds something like that.
Mike