Horsforth Kirkstall tunnel

Places to explore
Foustace

Post by Foustace »

no i didnt it had been raining so they were pretty muddy and i was in normal clothes so i didnt want to get dirty.Sometime soon though i'm gonna go down one.I'm also gonna upload pictures of an old building down there because nobody is sure what it is. In my opinion i think its a church but i dunno.

mike

Post by mike »

Well if you do it after I get back from holidays give me a bell and me an my mate'll join you!lol I spend sooo long looking for those holes and found nothing aprt from those steps lol
Mike

JoseRubio

Re: Horsforth Kirkstall tunnel

Post by JoseRubio »

I googled this to test my memory. As a child I lived in Horsfoth and used to visit an abandoned garden near the canal. I thought that it was Roman but of course that was impossible. One day we heard that the garden was going to be demolished and that the developers had uncovered a tunnel that went all the way to Kirkstall Abbey. It was assumed that monks would flee from persecuters, via the tunnel. To see the tunnel was a one off opportunity because the developers were going to close the entrance. There quite a few people there and I walked into the tunnel but was considered too young to walk the whole length. It was very black. My older brother was a scout and they walked all the way to Kirkstall Abbey. The entrance was closed. I now live in Australia and if I came back to Yorkshire I doubt I could find the place where the garden used to be. Childhood memories can be misleading and so I don't know how much I can vouch for my story's accuracy. This happened around 1966.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jose Rubio Welcome to S/L thanks for your input very interesting hope to hear more from you.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jihfadiuh

Post by jihfadiuh »

Hi Jose can you remember or have relatives that remember where this garden was or what was then built on it?

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have heard many story's of tunnels from Kirkstall Abbey most of them pie in the sky. This one sounds right i once read about all the silver used in the abbey was hidden when the kings men came to sack and plunder the abbey.What a find if this were true the abbey owned land up in the dales where they reared sheep so if true it could be anywhere.If they had little warning then it could be local who knows.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.