Yeadon railway

Places to explore
joey

Post by joey »

Hello, first time on this site and wondering if anyone knows where to get / view picture of yeadon railway, which is no longer used and now called 'aireborough greenway'. I just cant figure out how it connected to esholt woods junction. can anyone help?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

According to a search on lost WY Railways (see Useful Links below the SL picture banner) the branch connected to the mainline at Rawdon junctionhttp://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=68297551&pageid=r&mode=ALL&n=0&_charset_=UTF-8&bcd=%C3%B7&query=rawdon
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

joey wrote: Hello, first time on this site and wondering if anyone knows where to get / view picture of yeadon railway, which is no longer used and now called 'aireborough greenway'. I just cant figure out how it connected to esholt woods junction. can anyone help? Hi joey - according to a map in "Railways through Airedale and Wharfedale" by Martin Bairstow it was not connected to Esholt Junction. After leaving Guiseley (towards Leeds/Bradford) it peeled off left at at Rawdon Junction (before Esholt Junction and separate from it) to reach Yeadon Station Terminus in Henshaw Lane. There are two pictures of the station and one of Rawdon Junction on page 51 of the book. Hope this helps you.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi joey, welcome to secret leeds. If you would like to see the Yeadon Branch as it was when in use, if you google "old-maps" and enter map references "419906, 440800" you will be able to access eight maps of the area concerned ranging from 1850 to 1938. The line wasn,t built until after 1850, so it doesn't appear on the first map displayed, but it is reasonably clear in all the others. Hope this helps.

Si

Post by Si »

Here's the Yeadon line from Godfrey's 1906 OS map.
Attachments
__TFMF_b2kjsd55ftppzo45cs13luuz_aa9eaa72-65e2-41b0-ae41-bd121403cbb5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_b2kjsd55ftppzo45cs13luuz_aa9eaa72-65e2-41b0-ae41-bd121403cbb5_0_main.jpg (880.35 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Just wondered if this line went into the AV Roe factory?Does seem to go that way from other maps...

joey

Post by joey »

Thanks for all replies, havent had chance to have a walk and see if i can find it yet (maybe it is where the old quarry was, near recyling centre, but now it makes sense to me why you just come to silverdale estate bridge and it all ends! Replying to Lioner1960 the anwer is no. As far as i know anyway. AVRO was opposite end of Yeadon, where Yeadon airport (or leeds / bradford to those who arent local!) is and Yeadon railway ended on Henshaw Lane (near JCT roundabout). The posts to the bridge to the station are all that remains of yeadon railway now unfort.