Digging up Leeds

Places to explore
PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

grumpytramp wrote: I have to admit watching the first Youtube videos was interesting but I steadily became more and more un-nerved by what I was watching!Having spent my whole working life involved in digging and working in holes (trenchs, tunnels to multi-million m3 holes), I was absolutely horrified at the blatent risks taken working in unsupported excavations in poor ground conditions. This thread seems to have diversified quite a bit. What Grumpytramp was merely trying to explain was the danger involved in digging and working in unsupported excavations. Whatever about "scratching the surface" using a metal detector, the excavations shown on YouTube, by nature of their depth, were downright dangerous. Remember this ground is "made up", has no inherent stability and is liable to failure by the sides collapsing in.His comments do not pass any judgement on the use of metal detectors, or about rights and wrongs. It merely points out the inherent dangers in working in unsupported excavations.

tilly

Post by tilly »

PC - Dublin wrote: grumpytramp wrote: I have to admit watching the first Youtube videos was interesting but I steadily became more and more un-nerved by what I was watching!Having spent my whole working life involved in digging and working in holes (trenchs, tunnels to multi-million m3 holes), I was absolutely horrified at the blatent risks taken working in unsupported excavations in poor ground conditions. This thread seems to have diversified quite a bit. What Grumpytramp was merely trying to explain was the danger involved in digging and working in unsupported excavations. Whatever about "scratching the surface" using a metal detector, the excavations shown on YouTube, by nature of their depth, were downright dangerous. Remember this ground is "made up", has no inherent stability and is liable to failure by the sides collapsing in.His comments do not pass any judgement on the use of metal detectors, or about rights and wrongs. It merely points out the inherent dangers in working in unsupported excavations. Hi PC DUBLIN We were just talking about takeing objects from the ground sorry if we left the subject but sometimes we get a spinoff i for one dont mind.It all adds to my knowledge i for one value Grumpytramps input and no way do i think he is passing judgement on any of our comments.I like to think we are all friends on sl and can say what we think without any animosity.All the best Tilly.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have just had a thought i am told every thing i find does not belong to me its our heritage it should go to a museum.When you think about it a lot of the items in there have come from abroad plundered by the very people who tell me i am breaking the law.I would have to find a hell of a lot to reach the value of the Elgin Marbles and thats only one relic among the thousands our museums have.You will be glad to know this is my last post on this topic.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.