Clarence dock tunnels

Places to explore
URBAN EXPLORER

Post by URBAN EXPLORER »

I though i would post my pictures from yesterdays jollies as a way of saying thank you to everyone here as its you guys have have got me in to exploring the hidden parts of LeedsHere are the pictures from yesterday Part one is from Clarence dock to where it splits in two. [link temporarily removed for alteration] If anyone is interested in going under here feel free to message me and il come down with people.Many thanksMorganP.S hello to the two gents we seen under there coming in the opposite direction who are also fans of secretleeds.com    

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Wow, that's amazing.It looks like a few people are still going to these places, even if they are hard to get into.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The last picture looks like the jucnture at Gipton Beck in Sheepscar featured elsewhere here, have you seen the offering on Meanwood Lady Beck from phillD also posted on here?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2M

rikj

Post by rikj »

URBAN EXPLORER wrote: P.S hello to the two gents we seen under there coming in the opposite direction who are also fans of secretleeds.com Now then, that was us I think, though I don't think I said we were "fans"! I haven't been on here for months, but thought you might like to hear how our afternoon carried on.We had a leisurely wander down to the river, where we were greeted by a swarm of police and a very irate fireman. I have to say I've never actually seen anyone "hopping" mad before. As we emerged he started shouting "WHO ARE YOU? WHO ARE YOU?".It seems upright citizens had seen you climbing down and with admirable concern for your welfare had phoned the emergency services. I think the fire officer in charge was on the point of deciding whether to deploy an underground search team when we appeared. Us coming out seemed to push him over the edge.We said that we'd seen you 4 and you were out of the main culverts and seemed to be safe and well. He calmed down a bit when we explained we usually explored disused and abandoned mines, though the verdict from the police was "you must be mad".Anyhow, everyone calmed down and we offered to make a sweep back up the culverts to make sure you were out (which we knew you were but it was just to appease the fire officer).All good fun, but maybe next time make the entry a little lower profile eh?P.S. Thanks for calling us gents and not "old gits" like most people do.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

rikj wrote: URBAN EXPLORER wrote: P.S hello to the two gents we seen under there coming in the opposite direction who are also fans of secretleeds.com Now then, that was us I think, though I don't think I said we were "fans"! I haven't been on here for months, but thought you might like to hear how our afternoon carried on.We had a leisurely wander down to the river, where we were greeted by a swarm of police and a very irate fireman. I have to say I've never actually seen anyone "hopping" mad before. As we emerged he started shouting "WHO ARE YOU? WHO ARE YOU?".It seems upright citizens had seen you climbing down and with admirable concern for your welfare had phoned the emergency services. I think the fire officer in charge was on the point of deciding whether to deploy an underground search team when we appeared. Us coming out seemed to push him over the edge.We said that we'd seen you 4 and you were out of the main culverts and seemed to be safe and well. He calmed down a bit when we explained we usually explored disused and abandoned mines, though the verdict from the police was "you must be mad".Anyhow, everyone calmed down and we offered to make a sweep back up the culverts to make sure you were out (which we knew you were but it was just to appease the fire officer).All good fun, but maybe next time make the entry a little lower profile eh?P.S. Thanks for calling us gents and not "old gits" like most people do. Not entirely an unexpected revelation after reading the other storey.I suppose like some other activities, giving notice of your intentions to the authoriities would be the ideal though that may result in a little obstuructive interference with the planned activities I suspect!At the very least, I suspect that the more experienced of you good folk will ensure someone knows what you are about and would be able to raise the alarm if you didn't return as expected, the ideal maybe to leave a 'guard man' outside. That seems to be a popular spot for folk going over the edge in other ways these days.They were lucky in other ways, thinking about some of the buildings you'd pass under, the more acutely minded in the services could just suspect untoward reasons for the expedition and really send in the heavy gang to investigate.Still st least they came to the right conclusion, though 'mad' might be a rather weak description of what some of you get upto - but this place would be a little less of an exciting read if you didn't

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The easy thing to do was get in the culvert from the easy walk in entrance upstream, noone see's you at all, seclusion and discretion. Hanging over the edge of the river bank in the city centre is always going to attract the attention of the emergency services     And the first bit of artwork you ask about seems to be a protest about Geoege Bush and the Iraq war. George W Bush: ‘War on Terror’ aka ‘War for Oil’It suggests he was raging war merely over Americas oil interests.Read into that what you will.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Looking at the photos of Urban Explorer,theirgarb looks likethey took a wrong turn on the way to the beach!Phill and co always seem suitably attired and with propereqipment should there be any probs en route.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thinking about this Morgan, i really think you should ommit your pictures of that river bank ledge, and the text telling people that's how you get in from your website. It clearly isn't the way you get in, and it's very dangerous t.b.h.You were all lucky, you managed to land ok. Also the river levels are very low at the minute. If someone young see's that, and attempts it after you. They may well be fished out in a body bag I suspect you went down there with torches only just bright enough to navigate with?? If you had any decent lighting, i'm sure you would have seen the many Rats that were scurrying out of your way just ahead of you.(just out of the reach of your small torches beam) That main culvert is pretty much Sewer Bunnies equivalent to our Briggate if you like. The place teams with them.Rats are very anti social creatures too lolThey have a nasty habit of peeing everywhere. They do it to attract members of the opposite sex, to mark there territory. They even pee on there own food. That means the water in the culvert (although it looks clean) Is actually full of Weils disease. Going down there in trainers, and Jeans rolled up/bare legs, and wading through it isn't recommended. Adequate protective clothing should be worn.If any of you feel ill, have any side effects in the next few days. You may need to refer to this.http://www.holmesdale.acs.btinternet.co ... l.htmWeils disease can kill! And do check the weather forecast before you ever venture in these water tunnels, and always make sure you can get out in an emergency. They are very dangerous places should things go wrong, not even touching on the subject of hidden gasses. Do think about ammending your website Morgan.Perhaps one of the S.L admin can sever the link from this site if not, as i'm sure lots of impressionable youngsters will read this site too.                        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Thinking about this Morgan, i really think you should ommit your pictures of that river bank ledge, and the text telling people that's how you get in from your website. It clearly isn't the way you get in, and it's very dangerous t.b.h.You were all lucky, you managed to land ok. Also the river levels are very low at the minute. If someone young see's that, and attempts it after you. They may well be fished out in a body bag I suspect you went down there with torches only just bright enough to navigate with?? If you had any decent lighting, i'm sure you would have seen the many Rats that were scurrying out of your way just ahead of you.(just out of the reach of your small torches beam) That main culvert is pretty much Sewer Bunnies equivalent to our Briggate if you like. The place teams with them.Rats are very anti social creatures too lolThey have a nasty habit of peeing everywhere. They do it to attract members of the opposite sex, to mark there territory. They even pee on there own food. That means the water in the culvert (although it looks clean) Is actually full of Weils disease. Going down there in trainers, and Jeans rolled up/bare legs, and wading through it isn't recommended. Adequate protective clothing should be worn.If any of you feel ill, have any side effects in the next few days. You may need to refer to this.http://www.holmesdale.acs.btinternet.co ... l.htmWeils disease can kill! And do check the weather forecast before you ever venture in these water tunnels, and always make sure you can get out in an emergency. They are very dangerous places should things go wrong, not even touching on the subject of hidden gasses. Do think about ammending your website Morgan.Perhaps one of the S.L admin can sever the from this site link if not, as i'm sure lots of impressionable youngsters will read this site too.                         The essence of what I was trying to imply Phill. I've no issues with newbies joining such adventure but safty is not always appreciated when youthfUL (Often) enthusiasm comes into play.I made reference to people coming to grief there of late - the water looks so shallow and inocent at the edge but this is not the case a few feet from the edge.I think the general concensus will be with you and we now many impressionable even younger people come here, I wouldn@ want to think anyone had come to grief after trying to emulate the things they read, Admin will agree too here.Let's give our intrepid friend a while to think about this and see if he can agree - it would be a shame to loose all the pictures offered.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Oh for sure. I still have nightmares about the mad things i did in my younger days. The worst one was getting blind drunk in the pub. Then deciding it was a good idea to climb the Tower crane where i worked one night We've all been there lol