Leeds Railway Station's 'Lost World'

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

As an exercise in self promotion it is commendable though.

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It looks to me as a waste of time on network rails part, they could have produced something very interesting there. Six months of waisted time in my opinion, an arty farty student not really having any other purpose other than a self indulgent portfolio. It's to show off to peope who aren't really bothered about the history of the railway station, Leeds, or history at all to be honest. I failed to see any pictures of the place, any history, info, fact, or anything slightly interesting about the station in that Y.E.P story at all.It begs the question... Why lol?         To be fair, I'd reserve judgement till we've seen her pics. We don't know if she's arty farty or self-indulgent, or if she's done any research. Mind you, going by the previous photo competition, you don't have anything to worry about Phill! Let's hope she hasn't queered your pitch to shoot the same place, though...    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I don't think there is anything under pfm 8except the old subway and toilets which were takenout of public use when the station was upgradedin 2000.Can't say that I would want to see them ever agin!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Goggle her name and you get to a few photos of some lissome young ladies in urban dereliction, who would be a treat to meet on an SL expedition. As she says, she leans towards the 'darker' subjects. Maybe she's a repressed Secret Leedser who will find her way to the dark side in time, or an interest in abandoned lavatories.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Si wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: It looks to me as a waste of time on network rails part, they could have produced something very interesting there. Six months of waisted time in my opinion, an arty farty student not really having any other purpose other than a self indulgent portfolio. It's to show off to peope who aren't really bothered about the history of the railway station, Leeds, or history at all to be honest. I failed to see any pictures of the place, any history, info, fact, or anything slightly interesting about the station in that Y.E.P story at all.It begs the question... Why lol?         To be fair, I'd reserve judgement till we've seen her pics. We don't know if she's arty farty or self-indulgent, or if she's done any research. Mind you, going by the previous photo competition, you don't have anything to worry about Phill! Let's hope she hasn't queered your pitch to shoot the same place, though...     Yeah but that's my point Si. When, where or how do we see her pics? Where are they? Do we need to go to a museum to see them? Gallery? Are they shared for all to see, a wide audience?Easily accesable?My whole point is there is nothing beneficial to anyone here. Joe public, school kids e.t.c. Do you think anyone is going to want some history, or information on the station, Just like the S.L gang do... You can bet your bottom dollar you'll never find any of her stuff on a google search.It's just photographs, for photographs sake, it isn't anything else.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

To be honest the story looks a bit of a friend of a friend favour kind of thing trying to get her a job.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Si wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: It looks to me as a waste of time on network rails part, they could have produced something very interesting there. Six months of waisted time in my opinion, an arty farty student not really having any other purpose other than a self indulgent portfolio. It's to show off to peope who aren't really bothered about the history of the railway station, Leeds, or history at all to be honest. I failed to see any pictures of the place, any history, info, fact, or anything slightly interesting about the station in that Y.E.P story at all.It begs the question... Why lol?         To be fair, I'd reserve judgement till we've seen her pics. We don't know if she's arty farty or self-indulgent, or if she's done any research. Mind you, going by the previous photo competition, you don't have anything to worry about Phill! Let's hope she hasn't queered your pitch to shoot the same place, though...     Yeah but that's my point Si. When, where or how do we see her pics? Where are they? Do we need to go to a museum to see them? Gallery? Are they shared for all to see, a wide audience?Easily accesable?My whole point is there is nothing beneficial to anyone here. Joe public, school kids e.t.c. Do you think anyone is going to want some history, or information on the station, Just like the S.L gang do... You can bet your bottom dollar you'll never find any of her stuff on a google search.It's just photographs, for photographs sake, it isn't anything else.     Precisely what I was saying above Phill - does seem strange to 'officially' allow access purely for individual academia when there is an entire city that would love to see what might be under there.Unless the young lady has the forethought to open a flickr account, we'll probably never see them - but she might be worried someone could 'borrow' themLet's hope the message gets home.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

All this made me have another look at the Godfrey maps. The Central Leeds map shows the New Station next to Wellington Station. Comparing this with the Earlier Leeds Stations map, you can see the streets sacrificed during its construction where Little Neville Street is much longer and joins to Sandford Street. Or were they, does something remain possibly even remnants vissible through the distant arches, though doubtless the buildingswill be gone.Apart from the information on the maps, I can't readily find any information for names likeSandford Street, Mortimer Street, Hopkin's Yard or Garden Court.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Goggle her name and you get to a few photos of some lissome young ladies in urban dereliction, who would be a treat to meet on an SL expedition. As she says, she leans towards the 'darker' subjects. Maybe she's a repressed Secret Leedser who will find her way to the dark side in time, or an interest in abandoned lavatories. Clearly a prolific camera user -http://www.flickr.com/photos/45168732@N02/ copy 'n paste if you're interested enough to bother

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Goggle her name and you get to a few photos of some lissome young ladies in urban dereliction, who would be a treat to meet on an SL expedition. As she says, she leans towards the 'darker' subjects. Maybe she's a repressed Secret Leedser who will find her way to the dark side in time, or an interest in abandoned lavatories. Clearly a prolific camera user -http://www.flickr.com/photos/45168732@N02/ copy 'n paste if you're interested enough to bother Exactly!! She has a website with a few glamour model shots on, and this meagre offering on flickr with 8 pictureshttp://snipurl.com/uqey2Clearly she has nil interest in any type of history, documentation, or indeed any knowledge of what she's been doing.It's nothing against the girl, she's probably very nice, she looks v pretty But to give her access to a place for 6 months with nil benefit to Network rail, or Joe public makes me scratch my head!        Where are these pictures of hers then? Do we get to see them?