Leeds Railway Station's 'Lost World'

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Out of interest, what does it control?The Milgarth to Westgate tunnel is obviously nonsense unless we accept that a major mining exercise took place in the late 1970's without anybody noticing. Also the Westgate HQ was administrative, HR etc. No need for a tunnel unless you need to covertly check you pension.The rooms under the station, (cellar?) would have to be under the newest bit, easy to build and maintain rather try to adapt some cramped arches between the river and Neville street. They probably back onto the Queens hotel cellars. Mind you there's the old Swinegate goit to factor in.    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Cardiarms wrote: Out of interest, what does it control?The Milgarth to Westgate tunnel is obviously nonsense unless we accept that a major mining exercise took place in the late 1970's without anybody noticing. Also the Westgate HQ was administrative, HR etc. No need for a tunnel unless you need to covertly check you pension.The rooms under the station, (cellar?) would have to be under the newest bit, easy to build and maintain rather try to adapt some cramped arches between the river and Neville street. They probably back onto the Queens hotel cellars. Mind you there's the old Swinegate goit to factor in.     I think Cnosi knows a little about the space below the ticket area, i'm sure he'll say what he knows soon I'm led to believe it's mainly services, electrics, machinery and such. I guess if you look at the street view herehttp://snipurl.com/uqixnIt's pretty obvious to see there is a vast area underneath the concourse area. The whole station is built up on arches.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Perhaps this is why the Bond Street Subway couldn't be completed? They built it and then found a control room in their way. D'oh!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The doorway is so inconspicuous it stands out like a sore thumb, rather like the cameras!As I've said before, do we mean tunnels as the general percetion suggests to the mind's eye, or are we really referring to sizable cable ducts which clearly do exist in many parts? There is a difference.I have been told about a large duct to the Corn Exchange area too and the indications are that despite it carrying live utilities, it has for some reason been sealed at the distal end. Flood prevention maybe?I mentioned above how some old streets had been devoued by the New Station and wonder how that might fit in. Clearly the remains of Little Neville street are there running into the Arches.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

At times it can be pretty impossible to peel away the layers added to the city over the years.I found this picture near the rail station dated 1899.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ULLWorkmen had just unearthed even earlier cellars. I guess that just puts it all into context really.        I guess Chameleon will have sussed how i managed to find that picture lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

in tonights article :-" I tended to go down at night,so the dark shadowsmade it a bit threatening with all the strange noises fromthe builders up top"How does night have any effect undergroundand which builders were working at night ?A bit(a lot)of a poser I think.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

dogduke wrote: in tonights article :-" I tended to go down at night,so the dark shadowsmade it a bit threatening with all the strange noises fromthe builders up top"How does night have any effect undergroundand which builders were working at night ?A bit(a lot)of a poser I think. Lol at the underground been darker at night, just an excuse for the poorly lit, and exposed pics in my opinion! Good point about the nocturnal builders though, I thought the same thing. There was only the City Inn building going up near (ish) And that's been finished a while.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: At times it can be pretty impossible to peel away the layers added to the city over the years.I found this picture near the rail station dated 1899.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ULLWorkmen had just unearthed even earlier cellars. I guess that just puts it all into context really.        I guess Chameleon will have sussed how i managed to find that picture lol Yaaah!! Saw them days ago, lots of them, looking for the same thing as you, but couldn't really reconcile the pics with our (then) quest.The captions said pipe laying - looks more like cable laying to me, from that place further down most likely, but no sign of them going into the alledged tunnel along there to City Square is there?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dogduke wrote: in tonights article :-" I tended to go down at night,so the dark shadowsmade it a bit threatening with all the strange noises fromthe builders up top"How does night have any effect undergroundand which builders were working at night ?A bit(a lot)of a poser I think. What a load of shoe menders. Brings crdibility into doubt somewhat - over ground underground tunels perhaps - rather like the arches we can all go through?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Re Big N's lengthy post.When City and Central were combined and the new Leeds PowerSignal box was commisioned it was located on the sixth floor of the station admin block,not really visible to the passer by or passenger.The switch/equipment room was I think located in the dark archesarea and could be accessed by lift from the box.It was the degredation of the signalling equipment(circa1960's)the really led to control going to York when the station was remodelled.The problem was callled 'silver migration',Jarvis who maintained thesignalling after privatisation had video recording eqipment trainedon the various signalling panels to log any failures.A 'wrong side failure' i.e. not failing to a safe situation,was a realdangertowards the latter end of the signalling infrastructure.30 odd years lifespan was a steptoo far
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.