Leeds Railway Station's 'Lost World'

Places to explore
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

And here
Attachments
__TFMF_ylu0i445gciswdn3t5jkfvmg_3af0bd96-758a-4e40-bfe3-5293e2d881b8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ylu0i445gciswdn3t5jkfvmg_3af0bd96-758a-4e40-bfe3-5293e2d881b8_0_main.jpg (264.79 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: What's the plectrum-shaped thing just below your arrow in the middle of the river, Steve? Tempted to say it's something marked on the map. FRankly though, that is all I can say - no idea

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Well the engine shed to the west represents the Egyptian sun god and ......

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phill_dvsn wrote: There's two bumps in different areas in two tunnels under there. If someone can put these up for me-feel freeThe furthest ridge herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/609173697/Second bumphttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/2790897864/ Thanks I'd always thought the highdam was the one in the first picture bu the map marks the dam as being at the entrance to the dark arches (which makes sens now I think about it) So that bump about half way down is the ford?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: There's two bumps in different areas in two tunnels under there. If someone can put these up for me-feel freeThe furthest ridge herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/609173697/Second bumphttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/2790897864/ Thanks I'd always thought the highdam was the one in the first picture bu the map marks the dam as being at the entrance to the dark arches (which makes sens now I think about it) So that bump about half way down is the ford? Which puts it more or less under platform 8(5)?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Well the engine shed to the west represents the Egyptian sun god and ...... And almost a perfect line with the Corn Exchange and Quarry House. Where do the goings on of the secret control room fit in....

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Apparently the ford was only useable during good dry spells/low water levels. A man with horse and cart was washed away trying to use it i once read.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Might sound a little like I'm back tracking here, but I'm not - honest lol.When I say I was told about "Tunnels" leading to various points around the city I guess thats possibly mis-leading somewhat.Fact is, I can't remember wether my informant used the word Tunnels or if my imagination at the time percieved what he said to be tunnels.It is quite likely that he was talking about cable ducting, all be it pretty large stuff I would have thought, or something along those lines - maybe he said tunnels, maybe my head jumped to the wrong conclusion and I thought tunnels, I don't really remember.By the same token, Milgarth might have been mentioned or then again not after all it is well over ten years ago since I was informed of this underground control room and I have had several sleeps and a whole lot more sherberts since then lol.Again it might be me that wasn't listening correctly or perhaps even incorrect info being given in the list of places served - who knows ??As for the question "What exactly does it control"?? Well I was led to believe it was more a case of linking an important centre of transportation up with major areas of command around the city during the time of war - I.E. The station and goods facilitys with police, town hall etc etc - what purpose for I have no idea.As for the enterance to this supposed complex well - if you go into the short stay car park, the cresent shaped bit past the enterance to the booking office, park your car somewhere about the middle of the cresent and you are about 30 feet from the enterance. If you look in the wall there are a pair of double doors that open onto a passage, if you were to enter this passage and turn left you would come out in the booking hall through a single door at the side of McDonalds but before you get to this door you will have passed an innocent looking door on your right that is (or was) signed "Danger High Voltage / Telecomms - this is the enterance that I mentioned before.If you get through this door you would see a flight of concrete steps leading down about one normal floors depth then dissapearing round a turn - thats as much as I ever saw.Draw your own conclusions of its location from there.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

BIG N wrote: Might sound a little like I'm back tracking here, but I'm not - honest lol.When I say I was told about "Tunnels" leading to various points around the city I guess thats possibly mis-leading somewhat.Fact is, I can't remember wether my informant used the word Tunnels or if my imagination at the time percieved what he said to be tunnels.It is quite likely that he was talking about cable ducting, all be it pretty large stuff I would have thought, or something along those lines - maybe he said tunnels, maybe my head jumped to the wrong conclusion and I thought tunnels, I don't really remember.By the same token, Milgarth might have been mentioned or then again not after all it is well over ten years ago since I was informed of this underground control room and I have had several sleeps and a whole lot more sherberts since then lol.Again it might be me that wasn't listening correctly or perhaps even incorrect info being given in the list of places served - who knows ??As for the question "What exactly does it control"?? Well I was led to believe it was more a case of linking an important centre of transportation up with major areas of command around the city during the time of war - I.E. The station and goods facilitys with police, town hall etc etc - what purpose for I have no idea.As for the enterance to this supposed complex well - if you go into the short stay car park, the cresent shaped bit past the enterance to the booking office, park your car somewhere about the middle of the cresent and you are about 30 feet from the enterance. If you look in the wall there are a pair of double doors that open onto a passage, if you were to enter this passage and turn left you would come out in the booking hall through a single door at the side of McDonalds but before you get to this door you will have passed an innocent looking door on your right that is (or was) signed "Danger High Voltage / Telecomms - this is the enterance that I mentioned before.If you get through this door you would see a flight of concrete steps leading down about one normal floors depth then dissapearing round a turn - thats as much as I ever saw.Draw your own conclusions of its location from there. There is now a service lift down to this level,at which there are the footings of original station buildings.This was another place me and digger were trying to get in.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

You can see the void under the station you talk about on this shot BigN.http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... h.jpgThose stairs are another way down there. I'm wondering what era those concrete colums and steel beams are.Would these be the new City station 1967 remodel, or earlier?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!