Another Beck.....or stream?

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I know the very spring you mean on the Asket hill field, It was at the edge of the short grass where it met the bank and long grass lol.I lived on Boggart Hill gardens above that field, i'd always be down there poking about with sticks trying to see where the water was coming from. It did smell tho didn't it? Has it dried up now?        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Old and new maps of Gledhow Beckhttp://snipurl.com/u8kmh

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I know the very spring you mean on the Asket hill field, It was at the edge of the short grass where it met the bank and long grass lol.I lived on Boggart Hill gardens above that field, i'd always be down there poking about with sticks trying to see where the water was coming from. It did smell tho didn't it? Has it dried up now?         Yes Phil it has dried up.If you recall beyond the top fence was wasteland that sloped down to the school. I assume the water permeated that and came out on the playing field via the spring.(You may recall that if they ever saw you going home from school via that top fence you were in it deep!)Anyway they eventually built houses across that land sloping or not and I conclude that the drainage systems took the land water away and hence the spring dried up.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Just lost a detailed post!Basically, the beck rises at Broomhill Crescent, nothing shown to the south of there so presumably springs or issues. It heads north and at Wigton church is joined by drainage from moss plantation. It turn left down Linton View and then heads north/northwest to wards Eccup Reservoir. It doesn't enter the reservoir as all the streams that should are captured and drained around the reservoir and discharged into Eccup beck below the dam. The water in the Reservoir is from the Washburn Valley.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Correction.... Brookhill Crescent.Exactly, but the Q is, what does it drain before first surfacing.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The drain starts on the southside of the BrooKhill Crescent, heads north under the road. There's nothing shown any further south in the gardens except surface water drainage. Everything on shadwell lane and to the south drains towards Great Heads Beck.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phil's pipe is the surface water drainage from the Lincombes, although at least part of that is a culverted stream that runs from Brackenwood Drive between the back gardens of Lincombe rise and Lincombe Bank.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi there The Parksider,Here is a wee bit of info on the stream on the banking above the playground at Asket Hill Primary School.In 1998, to enable the pupils to play in the playground all year long, and to stop clothes getting filthy when it rained, the school had some detailed and expensive drainage work done. The stream ran diagonally down/across the "top banking". A drainage system was dug to gather the water and redirect it away from the playground. A long brick wall was also constructed across the full length of newly laid tarmac on the yard.The water seemed to disappear, but in reality went down to the drainage system at the top of the playground steps. Even after the work was done, you could still see the route of the beck in the summer after dry weather...a snake of green amidst a sea of dried grass.This has perhaps been covered on another thread. If so, I apologise. I understood that the school had been built on the site of an old pit slag heap. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Dalehelms wrote: Hi there The Parksider,Here is a wee bit of info on the stream on the banking above the playground at Asket Hill Primary School.In 1998, to enable the pupils to play in the playground all year long, and to stop clothes getting filthy when it rained, the school had some detailed and expensive drainage work done. The stream ran diagonally down/across the "top banking". A drainage system was dug to gather the water and redirect it away from the playground. A long brick wall was also constructed across the full length of newly laid tarmac on the yard.The water seemed to disappear, but in reality went down to the drainage system at the top of the playground steps. Even after the work was done, you could still see the route of the beck in the summer after dry weather...a snake of green amidst a sea of dried grass.This has perhaps been covered on another thread. If so, I apologise. I understood that the school had been built on the site of an old pit slag heap. I'm not sure if that is true or not. That's great Dalehelms, thank you very much for that.At that end of Seacroft there were no mines. half a mile away from Asket Hill there were ironstone mines in medieval times (around the ironwoods's) and a bit further on Brian Pit - or Seacroft Colliery on the York Road, with the "coal road" carrying coal from the seacroft and Manston collieries to Wetherby etc.....

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: The drain starts on the southside of the BrooKhill Crescent, heads north under the road. There's nothing shown any further south in the gardens except surface water drainage. Everything on shadwell lane and to the south drains towards Great Heads Beck. If the land was just "natural" then I assume springs will issue forth rain water as it soaks through the land.If you build an estate on it I assume that much of the water will land on roads and go down the drains.So streams must get depleted somewhat?? Do they link road drainage into culverted streams?? How is it engineered....