Tunnels from City Station

Places to explore
munki

Post by munki »

A friend of mine used to work in the building which is now 'Creation', used to be the Town & Country Club on Portland Crescent. He swears that there is a tunnel that runs from the basement there all the way down to the station. Apparently they were used in the days when circus shows were held in the buildings to transport dangerous animals from the station without having to bring them up onto the streets. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I have heard similar stories but more along the lines of tunnels going between the old post office, town hall and civic hall. However, if these do exist, I think these were merely for postal transport. This is the first I've heard of one to Creation but then it's within spitting distance of the Civic Hall.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

Sam

Post by Sam »

There is a tunnel leading from The Queen's Hotel at the station, right up to the Town Hall - it's to allow the Lord Mayor to evacuate the Town Hall in times of emergency, apparently, and head to his suite at The Queen's. I was told this by an employee at The Queen's, although how true it is I am not sure!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I would have to say i doubt very much if this secret 'city square tunnel' really exists. There was an old mill stream that ran under the queens hotel & any old tunnels in the basement would have been the remains of this. The only other thing that still exists buried under the square today is some covered over subteranean toilets that were closed in the early 60's when the square was redeveloped. They were decorated to a high standard by all accounts & even had a hot bath installed,
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

Well, now, you see, I just know that ain't true. There is more than just toilets under Millenium Square... & not that secret...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I meant under 'city' square & not the bunker under the 'millenium square' sorry for the confusion munki :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I remember seeing a cutaway plan of a 4 line underground station under City Square. I believe 3 so called railcars were to be the initial rolling stock, the cars were numbered 600, 601 & 602. They ended up on the surface when the whole scheme was abandoned. 601 & 602 were Liveried in Royal purple and cream to commemorate the coronation in 1953, they were built at Charles h. Roe in Crossgates and indeed one of them runs at Crich Tramway museam to this day, i think 600 is there too. Shame the plan was abandoned, has anyone got pictures of the plans??? I bet they are still locked away in the Civic hall somewhere.
Attachments
1DSC_0019.jpg
1DSC_0019.jpg (88.02 KiB) Viewed 7306 times

munki

Post by munki »

Do you remember where you saw the cutaway plan? I would love to try to track it down.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

i saw the plan in a publication in the late 60`s called changing leeds. it showed an early 50`s plan of an underground transport system, the rumour is that there is a model of this at the civic hall, i would love to see it.

Otleybard

Post by Otleybard »

Seem to recall reading about an advanced plan for a Leeds underground railway that was mooted in the 1930s but scuppered by the War.I do hope the Portland Crescent/City Square tunnel exists, if only for the thought of the Lord Mayor scurrying southwards only to encounter a couple of tigers coming the other way!Excellent idea for a site, by the way; really looking forward to it.