Adel Woods Strange Bunker Thing

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have been seeing a 'bunker' thing in Adel Woods for many years and have wondered what it was used for. It looks a bit like a lime kiln (with a possible air vent above) but I doubt very much that was what it was in that location! Whatever it is it seems to be not that well known as I've mentioned it to people and they have expressed surprise as they have not seen it. Intriquing!

Edit added later. To avoid confusion I am not referring to the World War 2 storage 'bunker' at an old small quarry off Stairfoot Lane but a small feature in the wood quite close to Stairfoot Cottage.
Last edited by Leodian on Sun 18 Dec, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Regarding the Babbling Baby/Slavering Baby spring.The area around it has recently been cleared. The stone work is though now fairly indistinct having eroded even more in just the last couple or so years. Much less water is now draining out of the structure as it is increasingly draining out of the ground a couple or so metres away.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Regarding the Babbling Baby/Slavering Baby spring.The area around it has recently been cleared. The stone work is though now fairly indistinct having eroded even more in just the last couple or so years. Much less water is now draining out of the structure as it is increasingly draining out of the ground a couple or so metres away. I've a recent pic of the cleaned up baby herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/4575867097/
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Phill for that. You have some amazing images in your Flickr site. I know where a few are located (including that Victorian bridge and its cutting with a landslide) but not most of them. I tried to put a couple of images I took of the Slabbering Baby spring on April 22 2010 but I could not work out how to add them to this post! What I thought would work did not!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Pity the pictures aren't on,however there is a seperate Holy Wells and spas thread which also mentions the spring, and it might be more apprprite to upload any pictures there.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: Thanks Phill for that. You have some amazing images in your Flickr site. I know where a few are located (including that Victorian bridge and its cutting with a landslide) but not most of them. I tried to put a couple of images I took of the Slabbering Baby spring on April 22 2010 but I could not work out how to add them to this post! What I thought would work did not! Rogue post gone as requested - take it you're using IE not Firefox and checked the file size?Keep trying, often it's something silly - not the easiest allpication to get to grips with!

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Phil. Just checked out your Dean Clough stuff. I used to work there in the early 90's. It's a fascinating place and I would have loved to see it in full flow as a mill. It's almost a work of art.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Babbling Baby/Slavering Baby in Adel Wood has been mentioned in this thread so I thought I would post this wintry scene picture of it that I took around 11:00 a.m. today (November 29 2010). Water hardly comes out of the structure now as it has mostly been coming out of the ground a few metres to the left (as seen) for a couple or so years now.
Attachments
__TFMF_sbgxxzug0ndiit45sypxwm45_0e361677-def5-4104-a744-7f206c5e7fe2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sbgxxzug0ndiit45sypxwm45_0e361677-def5-4104-a744-7f206c5e7fe2_0_main.jpg (139.87 KiB) Viewed 8409 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As I noted in my post on June 10 2010 I have been seeing a 'bunker' thing in Adel Woods for many years now. I have still not however been able to find out what it definitely was meant to be used for, though from other bunker related threads in SL in which this object has been mentioned the general opinion is that it may have been an ice store. Elsewhere in Adel Woods, close by on the track to the right (as viewed) of the Babbling Baby, there are some stone blocks which are said to be the remains of a potato store, so I wonder if the object in discussion here could have been another one of those? I have looked through the Old Maps UK website going back to the 1850s and did not find anything marked at the location of the object under discussion, though it probably is too small to have been recorded.I have attached a photo of the object that I took on March 1 2011. Edit added moments after posting. Sorry, the image was a too big when I posted. The rest of my post though still went through! I shall try to reduce the image size and post that.    
Last edited by Leodian on Sun 18 Dec, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Here is a reduced sized photo, which I hope works! Edit added moments after posting: It worked! You may though need to click on a red x to see the photo. Getting the "Server Error in '/forum' Application. A generic error occurred in GDI+" and other error messages never helps with giving confidence that a photo has been successfully loaded.
Attachments
__TFMF_oolmacvfipl2k1454yb4pt55_32d4d169-1b1e-4582-b084-308b78ac15e2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oolmacvfipl2k1454yb4pt55_32d4d169-1b1e-4582-b084-308b78ac15e2_0_main.jpg (567.28 KiB) Viewed 8412 times