Perseverance Iron Foundry

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Anything relating to water supply infrastructure is long gone.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

GeeWhitham

Post by GeeWhitham »

Hi, I wonder if Leeds archives would have something on the waterworks?I've been reading through the news archives and see Whitham and son sold 3 steam engines to Arthington. One went bang after 9 years of use cutting off half of the pumping capability for that area. This was in 1875 when James Whitham was running the show. I couldn't find any reference to it being mended.I may be coming to Leeds soon, so I'll try and find Arthington. I keep finding where Whitham steam engines were. If I'd been more on the ball I could have been up to Bestwood when I was 16. I'm sure my father would have liked to have seen an engine with his name on.Sorry I didn't respond quicker, for some reason I didn't get a notification of a reply in this thread.All the best and happy new year!
Graham Whitham

John Lacey

Re: Perseverance Iron Foundry

Post by John Lacey »

Hello Graham,

I am researching the history of sewage disposal in Leicester - well somebody has to!!

In 1853-54 a treatment plant was designed and built by Thomas Wicksteed, a well known engineer of the time. The engines were designed by Wicksteed and built by Joseph Whitham & Son of Leeds who Wicksteed had dealt with previously. The two main pumping appliances were powered by 25hp Cornish engines, there were also two other less powerful engines to drive the plant.

Joseph Witham & Son received orders to commence construction of the machinery on 2nd. May 1853 and were bound by their contract to have the works completed and in operation by 2nd October 1853, this date was, for various reasons including Joseph's death, not adhered to which may have resulted in JW being penalised.

That is all I know but it occured to me that what little I have said above may be of interest to you - you were trying to find out more about the ?Arthington engines built at about the same time. It goes without saying that anything you happen to find about the Leicester engines would be of interest to me and would be gratefully received,

Regards

John L

tilly

Re: Perseverance Iron Foundry

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L John A very interesting post there are some very knowledgeable members on here im looking forward to reply's.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.