Eccup Reservoir Roman Settlements

Places to explore
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

tilly wrote: The Parksider wrote: Leodian wrote: I know this thread is old but I hope this will be still be of interest. In John Mayhall's 'Annals of Leeds and the surrounding district' published in 1860 it states under the year 1702:-In the neighbourhood of Eccup moor and Addle, near Leeds, were discovered the ruins of a Roman town, which seems to have been very considerable, for, in digging no deeper than necessity obliged to make way for the plough, as many stones were extracted as served to build two walls, the one a yard high and twenty-seven roods long : the other a yard and a half high, and fifty-two roods long. They were rough stones, the foundations of houses, many of which were three or four courses high. Fragments of urns of a very large size were also found; and the remains of two funeral monuments, one inscribed PIENTISSIMA, another D, M, S, CADIDINIAE, FORTUNA PIA V, A, X, (Vixit Ann, X.)I wonder where exactly the site was and what became of the finds? There's a roman road running from Ilkley across guiseley, carlton, bramhope cookridge and onto the roman camp at Adel. This is in the field on the right of eccup lane past Adel Mill as you climb to five lane ends. The roman road carries on across alwoodley passing eccup. This is recorded in histories of the area and on old maps. I have been told the owner of the field won't allow a dig for the camp. Probably doesn't like Tony Robinson. Hi Parksider i think you will find if a Roman Camp is on his land he does not have a lot of say in the matter of archaeologists digging on his land.I dont mean Time Team it might be his land but if they want to do a dig then i dont think he can stop them.I think they can even stop him planting a crop in said field if they want to dig that season thats if he grows crops on the land were the camp is.     It would be great if a dig was done. Never seen any crops in that field Tilly, everything to be gained nowt to lose.

tilly

Post by tilly »

In one book i was reading it said that some Roman artifacts were in the Adle Church yard there were pictures of them taken in the early nineteen hundredsI dont think they are still there and i cant remember what the book was called but then theres a lot of things i cant remember its what we call old age lol    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

There used to be a couple of stone coffins just inside the gate of Adel church. Not sure whether they were Roman.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Just checked "Adel Church Leeds" on the net and one of the sites shows a picture of the coffins and stating that they are Roman.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Johnny39 wrote: Just checked "Adel Church Leeds" on the net and one of the sites shows a picture of the coffins and stating that they are Roman. Many thanks for the info Johnny39.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

tilly wrote: Johnny39 wrote: Just checked "Adel Church Leeds" on the net and one of the sites shows a picture of the coffins and stating that they are Roman. Many thanks for the info Johnny39. My pleasure Tilly. Try also "Leodis" - Adel, Church - there are pix from years ago showing even more artifacts together with the coffins.