Two possible tunnels??

Places to explore
Si

Post by Si »

PS All these waterways have disappeared on the 1908 map, but you can see where the outlets into the river were.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'm sure they built over them as it must have been nigh on impossible to have filled them in.

Si

Post by Si »

That's a lot of big tunnels, then!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Sounds like a veritable warren down there..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

CAREFUL!!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Simon, had another look at the bank today, didn't lend itself to piccy very well but I'll look at them later.As close as I could get without getting tootsies wet in that river thing, it almost looks as though it is closed off a few feet inside, but the light was bad.crossing back over to that side, there is water coming out very slowly, not enough to have made a significant channel over the bank though, so it doesn't look as though it discharges anything of consequence on a regular basis. Did you notice there seems to be another one about 250m down stream? Would need to walk through the car park from the Station to see it properly.The one Phill mentions is further upstream and certainly has been prettied-up - nicest looking sewer out-flow I've ever seen!It may be possible to go through the railings at that point and walk back down on the river bank to get a proper look at the one behind the tree - didn't feel too enthusiastic about that today though!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This is a shaky-shot of the entrance - can see better from this than in real life! Looks like a plywood shutter just inside and a cable conduit running across the top. Flip. New camera, massive file size scissors not working to make it smaller, need to work on that!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

If you can't get it to load up try this Chameleon. It takes 2 seconds to download, there's no hidden nasties with it, you can right click on the pic you need resizing and select 'medium size' that should load on the site easy enough mate!http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Thanks Phill, will look at it tomorrow now I think - been avery long week so far - little boy will be here to give Dad another tutorial too!That hole in the bank does look interesting, have to wonder what's behind the panel....

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Right, here we go, from "The King's Mill, Leeds" published by the Leeds Philosophical and literary Society.well worth getting a copy if the Civic shop has it, but it is very in depth in terms of the way it is written. It is a true archeological report.Further down from some tunnels mentions, but the first pic shows the mill in around 1700. the black lines showing the wiers, and the black rectangles show the various mills there at the time. You can see how the course of the river flows, and now all of the land right up to the river is built on, thus possible explaining why there are various exits along the river if courses were re-routed as buildings sprung up, and finally covered over whn there was no space left!
Attachments
__TFMF_xpt2ooqwyv0tv5z2rnnavy45_d709b0cd-6eac-417a-a995-0017c4c1461d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xpt2ooqwyv0tv5z2rnnavy45_d709b0cd-6eac-417a-a995-0017c4c1461d_0_main.jpg (908.96 KiB) Viewed 2964 times