Two possible tunnels??

Places to explore
simonm

Post by simonm »

Walking along the canal, from Town today I noticed two tunnels leading into the River aire. The first one is under the new tower block, next to the new arched bridge. The other can be seen from Wellington bridge and is under the YEP buildings outflowing into the River.Are they possible storm drains or remnants of old rivers / becks into the river???
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

simonm wrote: Walking along the canal, from Town today I noticed two tunnels leading into the River aire. The first one is under the new tower block, next to the new arched bridge. The other can be seen from Wellington bridge and is under the YEP buildings outflowing into the River.Are they possible storm drains or remnants of old rivers / becks into the river??? PHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: Walking along the canal, from Town today I noticed two tunnels leading into the River aire. The first one is under the new tower block, next to the new arched bridge. The other can be seen from Wellington bridge and is under the YEP buildings outflowing into the River.Are they possible storm drains or remnants of old rivers / becks into the river??? I think I know which you mean Simon. Is the one near the new arched bridge now edged off with new stonework?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

By the way Simon have you seen the Absolute Leeds story? It has me, you, csnosi and mukni down as guys who wander down murky tunnels delving into our cities past lol http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... eadID=1081    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simonm wrote: Walking along the canal, from Town today I noticed two tunnels leading into the River aire. The first one is under the new tower block, next to the new arched bridge. The other can be seen from Wellington bridge and is under the YEP buildings outflowing into the River.Are they possible storm drains or remnants of old rivers / becks into the river??? Not sure exactly where you mean Simon, but if it helps, there is a large underground sewage pumping station behind the YEP.If you remember the path which runs north from Whitehall Rd towards Wellington St along side the river (between the old Aire Side Centre and the river - past the end of the old viaduct), it is situated at the end where the path turned right. The control gear is in a housing which can still be seen on the cleared site and Google Earth, next to the river. Could this be related to your tunnel?

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: I think I know which you mean Simon. Is the one near the new arched bridge now edged off with new stonework? No, if you stand on the canal towpath, next to the new arched footbridge over the river, and look towards the appartment / office block next to the bridge, there is a definite opening in the steel piles to the left of the bridge as you look over the river.. The size of the opening is about 4/5 feet across and the height of the steel piles. This can be accessed by dropping down onto the small bank. I doubt myself if a beck or river outlet as i'm not aware of any that would flow down to the river there, unless it has been underground for years. It looks to me like a storm drain outlet and maybe only big enough to walk a short way in.The one by the YEP can clearly be seen from wellington bridge and is directly behind the YEP, again, set in to the wall of the river, but unless the river is dead low only accessible by boat???? Again, a storm drain??
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: By the way Simon have you seen the Absolute Leeds story? It has me, you, csnosi and mukni down as guys who wander down murky tunnels delving into our cities past lol http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... eadID=1081     hahah ,if only. I'd love to be crawling about in the mud, but enough of my fantasies.. Your copy is a bit too small for me to read so I'll have to get a propper copy.    

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

If you look at the pictures 3 & 4. Just the text and click on it twice even Stevie Wonder can read it then mate!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: If you look at the pictures 3 & 4. Just the text and click on it twice even Stevie Wonder can read it then mate! hahahahahaha, aye, realised that after I posted.. God I hate smart arses..

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Does this help in describing where it is Simon?
Attachments
__TFMF_yyoqe045ajxw0355db3grp45_450d000e-8a3b-4c89-aaae-477f7755ebc5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yyoqe045ajxw0355db3grp45_450d000e-8a3b-4c89-aaae-477f7755ebc5_0_main.jpg (504.02 KiB) Viewed 3887 times