Bus, crane, crash, copper, subway!

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

carith1 wrote: I worked for a Leeds based demolition company in the 70s. In 1976 we cleared the area to the southside of boar lane it takes a brave person to say that here! ;-D

carith

Post by carith »

Sorted out pc problems back in business now.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Phill_dvsn wrote: blackprince wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Bad link uhhHere it is WELL.... no mistaking that then is there That'll make Blakeys day as well as Cardi I think! (click on the picture to enlarge and read the sign behind the railings!)     Wow amazing isn't it? How come so many people, including me can't recall it? It must have been VERY short lived. You can just make out the railings to the stairs on the right side of the picture too.     Same here - absolutely no recollection of it. I must have been like the pedestrians in the photo who would rather take my chances dicing with the traffic above ground rather than venturing into the underworld and emerging with wet feet! If it was short lived can we put a start and end date on it? We know the bus crashed with that crane digging the subway in December 1965.The pic of the subway that Buffalo found can be dated pre 1974, I hazard a guess his picture is dated 1972/1973. You can see the half cab bus still has green tyre trims. Metro took over the buses in 1974 and repainted those trims red. If you look on this picture herehttp://snipurl.com/uiwzwIt looks to me as if they've got rid of the wide pavement where the stairs where on that shot. I think the subway has gone by this time. You can date that picture to 1974-1975.The sign on the bus says 'Metro needs knew drivers' By January 1976 the last of the Leeds half cabs were off the streets off Leeds.My guess it was only open 7/8 years from 1966-1973/74 lol                      Thanks for establishing the possible timeline for the subway Phill.I think the subway is still just visible in your photo http://snipurl.com/uiwzwLooking behind the bus you can see the handrails descending at 45 deg.the pavement widening in a gentle curve like it does in Buffalo's pic.The bulk of the subway railings and the sign are directly in front of H Samuels shop and is completely hidden behind the bus.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

This collision of the top deck of a bus with a crane jib is very similar to one I witnessed in Whingate also in the mid 60's. Two similar accidents within a year or two of each other might have caused a few raised eyebrows within LCT. Do Blakey or any other former Leeds drivers recall either of these accidents?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Si

Post by Si »

As usual, fantastic detective work from the SLers! Well done all. I still can't remember it, though...

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

What a relief that this is solved at last while I've been incapacitated with a cataract operation. Computer use is now very limited for a while but I'l pop in when I can - oh how I really have missed all the interest, humour and help on SL and can't wait to get back into the swing as and when - keep up the good work folks, all the best.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: What a relief that this is solved at last while I've been incapacitated with a cataract operation. Computer use is now very limited for a while but I'l pop in when I can - oh how I really have missed all the interest, humour and help on SL and can't wait to get back into the swing as and when - keep up the good work folks, all the best. Hi Blakey - idn't realise that was why you'd been away, hope all is going well, treatment these days for this is far better than it used to be - ought to have got you some voice operated software for Christmas (though it's not always the easiest thing to use I gather)Still, you turn your back and out pops the answers, I still can't believe I have no memory of it but, I can't even put that down to my recent unwellness!Take it easy, just think of how much entertainment awaits to be read once you are feeling more able....

Si

Post by Si »

Get well soon, Blakey.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Si wrote: Get well soon, Blakey. Aye - get well soon.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Si wrote: Get well soon, Blakey. I wish you a speedy recovery