Bus, crane, crash, copper, subway!

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

buffaloskinner wrote: Gone in 1991, which I think we knew anywayhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL     It's been replaced by an even newer busmans hut lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Keg

Post by Keg »

Looking at one of the pics, i can see Horne Bros I think... my dad used to get his suits from there.....
Keg

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

so any time now some bright spark shouts 'bah! photoshop!'... just joking! Good work folks ... great thread!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Just one thing....there's a 'Subway' sign but no sign for the toilets.....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Just one thing....there's a 'Subway' sign but no sign for the toilets..... (Did someone say the floor was always wet down there? )

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Bad link uhhHere it is WELL.... no mistaking that then is there That'll make Blakeys day as well as Cardi I think! (click on the picture to enlarge and read the sign behind the railings!)     Wow amazing isn't it? How come so many people, including me can't recall it? It must have been VERY short lived. You can just make out the railings to the stairs on the right side of the picture too.     Same here - absolutely no recollection of it. I must have been like the pedestrians in the photo who would rather take my chances dicing with the traffic above ground rather than venturing into the underworld and emerging with wet feet! If it was short lived can we put a start and end date on it?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

blackprince wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Bad link uhhHere it is WELL.... no mistaking that then is there That'll make Blakeys day as well as Cardi I think! (click on the picture to enlarge and read the sign behind the railings!)     Wow amazing isn't it? How come so many people, including me can't recall it? It must have been VERY short lived. You can just make out the railings to the stairs on the right side of the picture too.     Same here - absolutely no recollection of it. I must have been like the pedestrians in the photo who would rather take my chances dicing with the traffic above ground rather than venturing into the underworld and emerging with wet feet! If it was short lived can we put a start and end date on it? We know the bus crashed with that crane digging the subway in December 1965.The pic of the subway that Buffalo found can be dated pre 1974, I hazard a guess his picture is dated 1972/1973. You can see the half cab bus still has green tyre trims. Metro took over the buses in 1974 and repainted those trims red. If you look on this picture herehttp://snipurl.com/uiwzwIt looks to me as if they've got rid of the wide pavement where the stairs where on that shot. I think the subway has gone by this time. You can date that picture to 1974-1975.The sign on the bus says 'Metro needs knew drivers' By January 1976 the last of the Leeds half cabs were off the streets off Leeds.My guess it was only open 7/8 years from 1966-1973/74 lol                     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Looks like they've got yards of that pedestrian fencing in that 'guides' (gets in the way of) people to the bus stop or the gantried crossings.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I can remember it still open in the late 70's (around 77 ish) as one entrance/exit was near Virgin records and I used to get all my punk singles from there.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

carith1

Post by carith1 »

I worked for a Leeds based demolition company in the 70s. In 1976 we cleared the area to the southside of boar lane and i think the subway had been blocked off but not yet filled in at this time. We were all of the opinion that the site was jinxed because if anything could go wrong then it did on this job.