Isle of Cynder

Places to explore
Si

Post by Si »

Of course not. It never crossed my mind.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Si.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

http://tinyurl.com/c5ohq64Jim's excellent Treatise on all things water=Jim>Mill Race covers all forms of water conducting routes.Mill Leat is one dug straight from the ground with or without raised earthen banks.Goit is one bounded by stone or brick.Aqueduct is a stone or brick built viaduct like structure carrying water.Conduit is usually reserved in this sense to a piped supply, though the word can also be used for any supply or channel.Bonus, a launder is a wooden channel raised off the ground for the purpose of carrying water or slurries. Xtra bonus:-A culvert is a short tunnel section, as under a roadway or railway.-----------------------------------------------------LeoYour wonderfully named Old Parrott Inn appeared in my research on the outflow Goit behing 42 The Calls:-Post Office Directory 1882UnionBrush makers (National Association) Leeds branchMeeting PlaceOld Parrot Inn, Call Lane SecretaryWm. Crossland, 14 Siddall Place, Sweet St. Holbeck UnionCarpenters & Joiners (Amalgamated) Leeds No 1 branchMeeting PlaceOld Parrot Inn, Call Lane SecretaryJames Smith, Haigh St. Leathley Lane, Hunslet    --------------CardieSomething I don't understand:-Si's map shows coloured blue the furthest outflow crossing Lower Briggate, or rather Bridge End where it was visible until 1905. Images posted on this thread.In Prof Beresford's book East End, West End, it says "..the outflow from Pitfall Mills was also being used for Sorocold's town waterworks..."?    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

My attempt to overlay Si's map with the modern Leeds on Google Earthhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/8027970793/in/photostream
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

BJF

Post by BJF »

Great map, cnosni

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Jogon wrote: CardieSomething I don't understand:-Si's map shows coloured blue the furthest outflow crossing Lower Briggate, or rather Bridge End where it was visible until 1905. Images posted on this thread.In Prof Beresford's book East End, West End, it says "..the outflow from Pitfall Mills was also being used for ..."? The first private water supply pumped water from the river close the Bridge up to a reservoir on what is now New Briggate, roughly outside the Grand and then it gravitated down to those connected. Its quality was described as 'indifferent'. the company used the Ptifall Mills premises for their pumping.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C8cH ... ds&f=false

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That link is very interesting Cardiarms. I was amused by the hare bit in this piece on page 501 under 'Floods':-"One of the highest of these floods was on the 20th and 21st of October 1775, when the bridges at Calverley and Swillington were destroyed, and a hare escaped by floating down the stream on the body of a drowned sheep."That was immediately followed by "The height to which the water rose in Leeds, is commemorated by a notice at the corner of Water-lane.". I may be wrong but I think that was on a plaque that was stolen at some stage. I wonder if Water-lane is so named because it was susceptible to flooding or perhaps just because it was next to the River Aire?    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sorry guys if I'm being thick or that this point is obvious but I've not spotted it. I know the goits powered the mills at Isle of Cynder and then over the bridge, Pitfall Mills I think.Prof Beresford states in East End, West End Leeds Urbanisation 1684-1842 that"..the outflow from Pitfall Mills was also being used for Sorocold's town waterworks.."    
Attachments
__TFMF_vdq0gv55jj53pe3mjryk4bas_0cf2a598-305f-4efc-b7cc-96140bffb8e1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vdq0gv55jj53pe3mjryk4bas_0cf2a598-305f-4efc-b7cc-96140bffb8e1_0_main.jpg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Would seem to make sense.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of Sorocold the following is under 1694 in Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire':- "On the 3rd of March, this year, the common council of Leeds gave the sum of £40 as an encouragement and in consideration of Henry Gillert, of Leicester; and George Sorocold, of Derby; for laying an engine to convey water from the river Aire through the streets to all the houses in the town of Leeds, who should wish to purchase the same of them, and exempted them from taxes."