Rodley Tomb Stone?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: I noticed the other day that there is another stone set in the pavement on Roker Lane, Pudsey, opposite the junction with Littlemoor Road. I haven't had chance to have a closer look at it yet, but will take a snap next time I'm passing. Is this the same as the second one mentioned on page 1 Si, or yet another?

Si

Post by Si »

chameleon wrote: Si wrote: I noticed the other day that there is another stone set in the pavement on Roker Lane, Pudsey, opposite the junction with Littlemoor Road. I haven't had chance to have a closer look at it yet, but will take a snap next time I'm passing. Is this the same as the second one mentioned on page 1 Si, or yet another? No, Chameleon. I've had a look at the one on Hough Side. This one is on Roker Lane. It's on the pavement, and looks to be supported by a stone on each side. I don't know if there's any carved lettering on it, as I've only seen it from the car. Will stop next time I'm passing.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: chameleon wrote: Si wrote: I noticed the other day that there is another stone set in the pavement on Roker Lane, Pudsey, opposite the junction with Littlemoor Road. I haven't had chance to have a closer look at it yet, but will take a snap next time I'm passing. Is this the same as the second one mentioned on page 1 Si, or yet another? No, Chameleon. I've had a look at the one on Hough Side. This one is on Roker Lane. It's on the pavement, and looks to be supported by a stone on each side. I don't know if there's any carved lettering on it, as I've only seen it from the car. Will stop next time I'm passing. If it has the same embelishments, there must be some significance to them me thinks! Do try to have a look.

Si

Post by Si »

I will, Chameleon. I'll be in Pudsey tomorrow.

Si

Post by Si »

I actually drove past the Roker Lane stone today, but my camera is on the blink, so I'll scan in a quick sketch done from memory. Compared to the other two, it is much thicker, being almost square in plan, and the 'shoulders' are not as pronounced. It's made from sandstone (weathered) and sits in a kind of stone 'box' around it's base, on the (tarmac, I think) pavement, close to a garden wall. At first, I thought it looked like an ordinary gatepost, but it hasn't any evidence of hinges on any face, and surely it would have been removed, being on the pavement. The stone 'box' shows some effort has been made to conserve it.Unfortunately, there are no obvious markings on it. One side is very badly eroded, and is flaking away. The other side (shown in the drawing,) has what may be the remains of carving, but it is illegible, and could be just weathering. The third mark from the left could be read as an 8.No answer to the mystery, I'm afraid.    
Attachments
__TFMF_cgz4rxjop0bw3sruo1wjuvqx_e8e8a0df-122e-4af8-907d-f7af4cc9c34f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cgz4rxjop0bw3sruo1wjuvqx_e8e8a0df-122e-4af8-907d-f7af4cc9c34f_0_main.jpg (78.18 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: I actually drove past the Roker Lane stone today, but my camera is on the blink, so I'll scan in a quick sketch done from memory. Compared to the other two, it is much thicker, being almost square in plan, and the 'shoulders' are not as pronounced. It's made from sandstone (weathered) and sits in a kind of stone 'box' around it's base, on the (tarmac, I think) pavement, close to a garden wall. At first, I thought it looked like an ordinary gatepost, but it hasn't any evidence of hinges on any face, and surely it would have been removed, being on the pavement. The stone 'box' shows some effort has been made to conserve it.Unfortunately, there is no obvious markings on it. One side is very badly eroded, and is flaking away. The other side (shown in the drawing,) has what may be the remains of carving, but it is illegible, and could be just weathering. The third mark from the left could be read as an 8.No answer to the mystery, I'm afraid.     Hi Si The reason for the stone box at the base is a few years ago it was broken in two so this is a repair.I allways thought it was an old milestone if so the eight could be either to Leeds or Bradford were in the center between both citys so if its on the west side of the stone its to Leeds east side Bradford. I could be wrong but it sounds good.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Sundowner,I thought someone in Pudsey might have some info!It's definately some sort of marker, then, if they repaired it. I presume someone's car came flying out of Littlemoor Road and hit it. The side with the possible markings shows four vague marks. The third could be an eight. If this is the case, I was wondering it might be a date. Eighteen eighty something? Milestone sounds good, though, especially at a junction. I would guess both Roker Lane and Littlemoor Road are very old.    

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

This 1956 map shows it as a Guide Post (also a boundary marker and a defaced milestone according to the abbreviations, so many uses in one!) and it's Grade II listed according to the Leeds City Council website, hence the efforts to preserve it. According to the map, there was also a Police Telephone Pillar by the side of it, although looking at live search maps there doesn't appear to be any trace of this now.    
Attachments
__TFMF_agk5jeymclcczarpllvcig45_e884f80c-b694-454a-97b1-e457012adcf0_0_main.gif
__TFMF_agk5jeymclcczarpllvcig45_e884f80c-b694-454a-97b1-e457012adcf0_0_main.gif (16.35 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

While looking up what PTP meant on the map, I came across this website with map abbreviations - might be useful for those of us who enjoy our map research!http://www.compassmapping.com/images/Ma ... ations.xls

Si

Post by Si »

Tasa to the rescue...............again!You don't know what the Rodley and Hough Side markers are, do you?