HOVIS, OLD SIGN

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
tilly

Re: HOVIS, OLD SIGN

Post by tilly »

Hi TABBYCAT You are probably right about Turog unless they both made them, i will go along with what you said unless someone knows otherwise.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

To be honest Sid I think both bakeries did the mini loaf thing,I just remember the Turog ones from Dewsbury Rd.
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Sat 11 Dec, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Jann wrote:
Sat 11 Dec, 2021 7:37 pm
Tabby cat -sorry predictable text should be Turog x
No worries Jann, you should see the bloopers I've made because of predictive text.

I do know that if you use predictive for the word Smirnoff as in the vodka it brings up poison! :lol:

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have a lot of memory's of Dewsbury Road used to walk up there to my old school Bewerley Street from Hunslet. I just had a thought we would jump on the back of dustbin lorry's going to Pottery Fields depot then jump off on Leathley Road. I dont know if you remember they had a long step at the back just right for getting a lift fond memory's.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tilly wrote:
Sat 11 Dec, 2021 9:48 pm
I have a lot of memory's of Dewsbury Road used to walk up there to my old school Bewerley Street from Hunslet. I just had a thought we would jump on the back of dustbin lorry's going to Pottery Fields depot then jump off on Leathley Road. I dont know if you remember they had a long step at the back just right for getting a lift fond memory's.
I do Sid and there's nowt wrong with memories. :lol:

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I think you could get both Hovis and Turog in the appropriate shop. As I understand it, the little loaves, baked in tiny tins, were originally for test purposes at the bakery, for checking the flour, but someone had the bright idea of actually baking them for sale . I agree they were nice.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

My memory might be playing tricks but I seem to remember being bought mini "penny loaves" early/mid seventies from a shop I'd guess was on the Oakley Terrace corner with Dewsbury Road. It was certainly above Grandways and though at the time parking on DewsburyRoad was permitted we often had to turn left and park on the side street. Then continuing down and right onto Garnet Road to complete our journey (Moortown to Beeston).
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

Its funny how things like this bring back memory's locked in your brain, very fond memory's from a time long gone.I wonder what memory's todays children will have when they reach maturity they dont do things we did and thats a very big shame.

jma

Post by jma »

They'll learn much more, than I'll ever know, and I say to myself "What a wonderful World."
Here's Louis Armstrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqhCQZaH4Vs

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a link to an old (2014) but related Secret Leeds thread that may be interest. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5220
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.