Knights of the Templar- Crosses

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
LS1

Post by LS1 »

I was speaking to a guy about 2 years ago who is our family solicitor, and also an avid "Leedser". He has writte some great stuff on the waterfront but unfortunately it's not been published. Anyhow, he told me about a Templar's Cross at the bottom of Briggate and how he was told about it but couldn't find it.I had a look myself and couldn't see it either.... untill today. I was walking past and noticed that in fact the cross itself has been removed, but you can still see the paint etc where it was once positioned. My question is, are there any more or have they all gone?Some old ones were down Lower Head Row as per Leodis, and of course on Templar Street itself, these seem to have gone. I understand that in essence they showed that the inhabitant of the building paid different taxes to the general population, as the proprty was owned by the knights, and also had some other privilidges.
Attachments
__TFMF_011kxj451mqgpv55kdvbpb55_417bb93c-75ac-4b7a-9335-98c0f0a7e9b0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_011kxj451mqgpv55kdvbpb55_417bb93c-75ac-4b7a-9335-98c0f0a7e9b0_0_main.jpg (890.72 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

You can see it better here!
Attachments
__TFMF_011kxj451mqgpv55kdvbpb55_a729243f-bab0-492b-82e7-7a177c7a2e40_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_011kxj451mqgpv55kdvbpb55_a729243f-bab0-492b-82e7-7a177c7a2e40_0_main.jpg (800.25 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

LS1 wrote: I was speaking to a guy about 2 years ago who is our family solicitor, and also an avid "Leedser". He has writte some great stuff on the waterfront but unfortunately it's not been published. Anyhow, he told me about a Templar's Cross at the bottom of Briggate and how he was told about it but couldn't find it.I had a look myself and couldn't see it either.... untill today. I was walking past and noticed that in fact the cross itself has been removed, but you can still see the paint etc where it was once positioned. My question is, are there any more or have they all gone?Some old ones were down Lower Head Row as per Leodis, and of course on Templar Street itself, these seem to have gone. I understand that in essence they showed that the inhabitant of the building paid different taxes to the general population, as the proprty was owned by the knights, and also had some other privilidges. Hi LS1There's a load of info in the Templar pub re-the history of the order and its relevance to Leeds.An interesting read to accompany a great pint of Tets.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

stevief wrote: LS1 wrote: I was speaking to a guy about 2 years ago who is our family solicitor, and also an avid "Leedser". He has writte some great stuff on the waterfront but unfortunately it's not been published. Anyhow, he told me about a Templar's Cross at the bottom of Briggate and how he was told about it but couldn't find it.I had a look myself and couldn't see it either.... untill today. I was walking past and noticed that in fact the cross itself has been removed, but you can still see the paint etc where it was once positioned. My question is, are there any more or have they all gone?Some old ones were down Lower Head Row as per Leodis, and of course on Templar Street itself, these seem to have gone. I understand that in essence they showed that the inhabitant of the building paid different taxes to the general population, as the proprty was owned by the knights, and also had some other privilidges. Hi LS1There's a load of info in the Templar pub re-the history of the order and its relevance to Leeds.An interesting read to accompany a great pint of Tets. Sounds like a good excuse for a pint at lunch!

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: You can see it better here! Sorry, can see bugger all :-(
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Ok, if you look at the second phote, almost bang in the middle there is a bit of white paint and 4 holes, as if int he 4 corners of a diamond formation.

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: Ok, if you look at the second phote, almost bang in the middle there is a bit of white paint and 4 holes, as if int he 4 corners of a diamond formation. IS THAT IT????? Bugger me, I was looking for some awe inspiring hidden mystical cross I thought you meant painted on the wall. Didn't see the screw markings at all!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

simonm wrote: LS1 wrote: Ok, if you look at the second phote, almost bang in the middle there is a bit of white paint and 4 holes, as if int he 4 corners of a diamond formation. IS THAT IT????? Bugger me, I was looking for some awe inspiring hidden mystical cross I thought you meant painted on the wall. Didn't see the screw markings at all!! Yeah I know, not very impressive, but its the historical meaning behind it that counts!! ;-)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Just hunted on the bible that is Leodis, and found a photo showing the Old George that was further down from the railway viaduct. On the left you can see the old templars cross. It does look different, and the building it was on had windows and the modern one doesn't.
Attachments
__TFMF_1hbezz553mwydebzh2if54nn_1eadb292-e0ab-47c9-8aed-e31816219bed_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1hbezz553mwydebzh2if54nn_1eadb292-e0ab-47c9-8aed-e31816219bed_0_main.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Saw three Templar crosses at the Thoresby institute,Claremont house,taken in the 19th century from various medieaval buildings in Briggate,there is also one on display at Kirkstall abbey museum on the "Street",and of course on the pack horse.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]