Signs of old leodis

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Leodian

Re: Signs of old leodis

Post by Leodian »

Work is going on at part of the Grand Theatre buildings on New Briggate, Leeds. Passing by during a very wet spell today (September 24 2019) I noticed a name of a possibly very old business has been exposed on what is number 36 and 36 New Briggate. It was very hard to get into a good position to read and even more so to take photos but the name seems to be either C Auty & Co Leeds or Cauty & Co Leeds. I wonder if anyone knows anything about that business (assuming I've got the name right) as I've not been able to fairly readily find any information. These are 3 photos that I took. The first is from as good a position as I could get close up and the second is a zoomed-in one from the other side of New Briggate. The third is an old looking number 38 exposed on that buisness.
OldNameOverPremises36And38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019(1)..jpg
OldNameOverPremises36And38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019(1)..jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 43280 times
OldNameOverPremises36And38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019(2)..jpg
OldNameOverPremises36And38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019(2)..jpg (167.91 KiB) Viewed 43280 times
OldNumberOnShop38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019..jpg
OldNumberOnShop38NewBriggateLeedsGrandTheatreWorkSept242019..jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 43280 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

May be a long shot but could it be the steel merchants name on the beam ??
Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (16).png (111.9 KiB) Viewed 43248 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi uncle mick,

I saw that too in Kelly's Directory and I thought that Assembly Street might be linked to the Assembly Rooms Cinema which, in later years, was part of the Grand Theatre complex for many years. However, looking at old maps, I found that Assembly Street was located immediately behind the Corn Exchange/Call Lane area. The photograph above shows a shop which was one of seven shops (numbered 32 to 44), originally built within the complex. The Assembly Rooms Cinema replaced the end shop (32), at the junction with Harrison Street, for a few years. In later years it was also known as the Plaza Cinema.

Ian
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Wed 25 Sep, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Wed 25 Sep, 2019 11:23 am
Hi uncle mick,

I saw that too in Kelly's Directory and I thought that Assembly Street might be linked to the Assembly Rooms Cinema which, in later years, was part of the Grand Theatre complex for a many years. However, looking at old maps, I found that Assembly Street was located immediately behind the Corn Exchange/Call Lane area. The photograph above shows a shop which was one of seven shops, originally built within the complex. The Assembly Rooms Cinema replaced the end shop, at the junction with Harrison Street, for a few years. In later years it was also known as the Plaza Cinema.

Ian
Hi Ian
I agree with what you say but it doesn't look like a shop sign to me C Auty & Co appears to painted on the RSJ (steelwork) ???

iansmithofotley

Hi uncle mick,

Maybe the writing on the RSJ is a red herring and it just happens to be that C Auty & Co. Leeds supplied the steelwork for alterations to the building and has nothing to do with the names of the shops. I can't remember the layout of the Assembly Rooms Cinema and whether or not the cinema was over, or behind, the shops. On some maps it looks as though it was above all seven shops.

Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks uncle mick and Ian for your help :).

I've now just done a short search and in relation to Charles Auty I found these 2 items:-

In an undated search under ‘Leeds Trades’ and ‘Steel Merchants’:- Auty Charles, Old White Cloth Hallyard, Crown street.

That thus means Charles Auty was not a steel manufacturer but a provider.

From another search:- Under bankruptcy notices in The London Gazette, June 13, 1865.

Number—13,057...Date of Deed—30th May, 1865. Date of execution by Debtor—30th May, 1865. Name and description of the Debtor, as in the Deed- William Pearson, of Leeds, in the county of York, Machine Manufacturer (debtor)...names and descriptions of the Trustees or other parties to the Deed, not including the Creditors— Charles James Kerr, of Tokenhouse-yard, in the city of London, Accountant, George Nelson, of Leeds, Iron Founder, John Iredale, of Leeds, Mungo Manufacturer, and Charles Auty, of Leeds, Iron Merchant (trustees)...the debtor covenants to pay his creditors a composition of twelve shillings and sixpence in the pound, in discharge of their debts, by three equal instalments, secured by bills of exchange, payable at four, eight, and twelve months from the 2nd April last, and also by an assignment to the trustees of the machinery and fixtures in the mill and premises occupied by the debtor at Leeds; and a release from the creditors to the debtor.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Hi Leodian,

The Grand Theatre complex was not built until 1878, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theatre%2C_Leeds

However, Kelly's 1888 directory still shows Charles Auty at 23 Crown Street, which is next to Assembly Street. It is also shown, in another section, at Old White Cloth Hall Yard, Crown Street.

Ian

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

SallyRay

Re:

Post by SallyRay »

Phill_d wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:12 am
There's still a Tetley huntsman sign on Compton rd as well Oldboys!
I just have a thing for retro :D
I love it :) :) :)

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Sally Ray i hope you enjoy the site you have many interesting posts from the past to look at, look forward to your input.All the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.