Visible street signs for streets that no longer exist.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
polo

Post by polo »

And here's another.http://goo.gl/maps/tCfUT

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS1 wrote: Addymans wasn't it the butcher that was there? 19th October 1989. Image shows a view of the side windows of Dearlove Addyman, Pork Butcher, at number 24 Queen Victoria Street.        

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

uncle mick wrote: LS1 wrote: Addymans wasn't it the butcher that was there? http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL Excellent"Dearlove and Addymans" as folks used to call it.Mind you some of our lot used to eat some weird stuff from there with vinegar on it.Was it chitterlings?But oh, savoury duck and veal and ham pie (all pre-skinny latte + tuna melt)    

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

This is an interesting one. I noticed it on the way back from Leeds United on Sunday afternoon. First time I've been in a good while.Wooler Place in Beeston. The street - or the street that the sign is on - is approximately thirty yards long with nothing at all on it.On Google Maps, they seem keen to convince the reader that Wooler Place takes a ninety degree turn left where there are some terraced houses. But the street it takes a ninety degree turn into is Back Cross Flatts Crescent, and is clearly posted as that at the junction with Wooler Road.Indeed, Back Cross Flatts Crescent continues on to a junction with Wooler Street past its junction with Wooler Road.Wooler Place does not exist on Postcode Finder. But I know it's there. The street sign says so. But did it ever exist as a street with houses at all?If anyone is remotely interested, could they get the appropriate GSV captures. I lack the basic skills required.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi S&P. If it works the attached image is a screen grab that I've captured showing Wooler Place in Google Street View (GSV). It may be a bit large but I found that reducing the size then reduced the definition even more. It was also the best I could get, though I'm sure others will be able to do better. Talking of GSV screen grabs I'm sure that I used to be able to copy and then paste a URL for the image but if that is still possible I cannot fathom out how to do it now.    
Attachments
__TFMF_bjipcjnb11ewo3mwssbvrmix_28c72a9d-2b11-49cf-b6e5-4384835819d8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bjipcjnb11ewo3mwssbvrmix_28c72a9d-2b11-49cf-b6e5-4384835819d8_0_main.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Cheers Leodian. That's the one.There is absolutely no point to that Wooler Place street sign being there. None at all.Surely there must have been at some time.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks S&P. Yes, still having the street name does seem pointless now. Interesting though.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Putting this one forward for entry. I can't find it on Postcode Finder anyway.
Attachments
__TFMF_bjalipv5d3q5jjquoimgade5_4402a502-d804-4f41-8a93-592263c69843_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bjalipv5d3q5jjquoimgade5_4402a502-d804-4f41-8a93-592263c69843_0_main.jpg (89.69 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

kango

Post by kango »

salt 'n pepper wrote: This is an interesting one. I noticed it on the way back from Leeds United on Sunday afternoon. First time I've been in a good while.Wooler Place in Beeston. The street - or the street that the sign is on - is approximately thirty yards long with nothing at all on it.On Google Maps, they seem keen to convince the reader that Wooler Place takes a ninety degree turn left where there are some terraced houses. But the street it takes a ninety degree turn into is Back Cross Flatts Crescent, and is clearly posted as that at the junction with Wooler Road.Indeed, Back Cross Flatts Crescent continues on to a junction with Wooler Street past its junction with Wooler Road.Wooler Place does not exist on Postcode Finder. But I know it's there. The street sign says so. But did it ever exist as a street with houses at all?If anyone is remotely interested, could they get the appropriate GSV captures. I lack the basic skills required.     Same area 1903 , the houses to the right look to be where Wooler Place is.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLAnd today...http://goo.gl/maps/W7iXH

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

1910 Map. No houses on Wooler Place (not marked) but off Cross Flatts Cresenthttp://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/LargeMap.aspx?srch=&singleplot=&hlt=&hlp=&e=428818&n=430821&scale=0.5&tabL=L3&tabR=R1