Melbourne Brewery Signs

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Thanks for that - an interesting website, and some goodleads
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'm running out now folks! - any leads anyone?cheers
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Here's a few that have been mentioned, I think it was on Leodis. No idea whether some of them are still open or not, or whether there's any evidence of them being Melbourne pubs. Any ideas anyone?General Peel, Beckett StreetWhite Rose Inn, 202 Woodhouse StreetThe Old Toll Bar, 19 Meanwood RoadTommy Wass, Dewsbury Road, BeestonExchange, 33 West StreetThe Whitehouse, 36 Lady Pit LaneSussex Tavern, North Hall TerracePark Hotel, 82 Hyde Park RoadCarpenters Arms, 19&21 Front RowBrunswick Hotel, 75 Oak Road, WortleyOld Red Lion Inn, 49 Thwaite GateMorning Star, 182 Kirkstall RoadThe Queen, Oldfield Lane, WortleyWaggon & Horses, Leeds Road, Thornbury

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Of the Leeds pubs above, (i.e. excluding Thornbury) only the Tommy Wass and The Queen still exist. Neither has any signs of Melbourne that I know of - I believe the ones at the Queen were removed relatively recently - shame.Anyway - I have found a new one.....

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

I may have one too, going to check it out tomorrow...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

... under my nose all the time. one of 2 etched 'courtiers' at the Haddon Hall - I'm sure there must have been more originally. These things are difficult to photograph well, especially as they are on curved sections of glass - but I've given it my best shot.{Destroyed 2010)
Attachments
__TFMF_gijjnubfsyy2pnetpeh3u245_cd9fb293-bb8c-4f5f-86a0-c97ccd8df83d_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_gijjnubfsyy2pnetpeh3u245_cd9fb293-bb8c-4f5f-86a0-c97ccd8df83d_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (19.93 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: ... under my nose all the time. one of 2 etched 'courtiers' at the Haddon Hall - I'm sure there must have been more originally. These things are difficult to photograph well, especially as they are on curved sections of glass - but I've given it my best shot. I wondered about the Haddon but it's been altered so many times over the years I didn't think anything original would remain.I had a walk down Regent St. last week to get a 'feel' for the site of the brewery.There's no sign of Plum St. now but there is a Melbourne Street.

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

I don't believe it! (in a Victor Meldrew style!!!), I was going to go to the Haddon Hall today to check it out as I read it on the internet yesterday, but you beat me to it!!! I'll have to review my evening's drinking now!!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

drapesy wrote: Of the Leeds pubs above, (i.e. excluding Thornbury) only the Tommy Wass and The Queen still exist. Neither has any signs of Melbourne that I know of - I believe the ones at the Queen were removed relatively recently - shame.Anyway - I have found a new one..... The Tommy Wass had all the original windows ripped out when it was refurbished, I'd guess that will be getting on for 10 years ago now. I think it was just after Tetleys started selling their pubs off due to the change in the law.The excuse given was that "women didn't like to go in pubs they couldn't see inside first" (or words to that effect), which sounds as lame now as it did then.There was a big fuss about it in the YEP at the time, but as is the way with these things, the windows had already gone by the time anyone knew what was happening.The windows were simply replaced with ordinary glass, which just isn't the same.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Here's a photo from Leodis of The General Peel, on Beckett Street (1960). Clearly says Melbourne on the side of the building. Can't make out if there were any signs in the windows.
Attachments
__TFMF_bhpsif55voauxhmws1r3ppiy_8b0cdf90-953c-4c76-8172-cbfce18114d4_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_bhpsif55voauxhmws1r3ppiy_8b0cdf90-953c-4c76-8172-cbfce18114d4_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1611 times