Melbourne Brewery Signs

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

drapesy wrote: cnosni wrote: drapesy wrote: Yes another American 'brand' - Coors is doing this 'fresh' rubbish. Anyone who knows anything about brewing will tell you its pure nonsense. The word 'Lager' even means, literally, 'Stored' - i.e the opposite of 'Fresh'!Another one that always gets me is 'Smooth' beer! What were you expecting - 'Lumpy' ??????     Interestingly my mates ask for a pint of rough when thet go in the Prince of wales for an ordinary pint of John Smiths.Personally i would nt drink either.This might sound daft but i will go in a pub for real ale,if none available (only Tetleys Smooth etc etc)then i will go for a quality lager (im ambidexturous you know) like Stella,Kronenbourg,Staropramen or the best in my opinion,Budvar.Drinking Budweiser is like drinking pop.Carling etc is pants i have had occasion to have a laugh to myself when patrons enter a pub and say "Great stuff,ill have a Carling"It has been known for me to leave a drinking establishment with my thirst unquenched if there is only Carling and John Smiths on.     You're a man after my own heart cnosni! I enjoy Real ale - quality continental lagers and even Belgian 'Specialities' like White Beer, Chimay, Duvel, Bush, Kriek and even Geuze (that last one's a really acquired taste!!)I too love Budvar - but one you haven't mentioned is Pilsner Urquell - that stuffs brilliant - especially in the big 660cc bottles!. Anchor steam beer is great too- even though its American!Another good one is Stella's 'Peeterman's' - which you sometimes see on draught The worst 'beer' in the world, for me, is Foster's.I grieves me to say this but the most bearable of the mass- market brand lagers is Carlsberg.     About 15 years ago I was in the USA, and there was frequently a massive "choice" of lager, even tho' the Americans call it beer. I was surprised to read on the label of a Coors bottle - chosen arbitrarily from a list of about 15 reeled off by the waiter - that the alcohol content was nil. Wasn't reflected in the price - all beer in bars and restaurants was very expensive. Is the present Coors still alcohol-free? Is all the other over-hyped, over-priced stuff from the US?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

No. Budweiser, for example, is 5%. However, IMO it's nearly all rubbish, bulked out with cheap rice and maize.Incidentally, I think Stella is being advertised at the moment, proudly boasting only four ingredients, one of which is maize!?????

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I don't know much about the history of Melbourne pubs in Bradford, but there used to be a pub in White Abbey Rd that was named the Melbourne, (later abbreviated to Melbourn) and in its latter days it was Tetley's, so there's a good chance it was a Melbourne house originally. It's now an Asian clothing emporium.I think that most of Tetley's outlets in Bradford were originally Melbourne, or Whittaker's (not to be confused with the Halifax brewer of the same name), which Tetley's took over. The Bradford one, that is).
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Here is a link to a picture of Morley Pavilion, and in the middle right of the picture behind the cinema can be seen the gable end of South Queen Street Working Mens Club with the Melbourne Courtier logo - I can't download the picturehttp://www.morleyarchives.org.uk/Galleries%20b ... image5.htm
Industria Omnia Vincit

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Drapesy, as you will no doubt know the Junction at the bottomof Dewsbury Rd is now closed and boarded up, I run down past this pub regularly and if I see any signs of redevelopment going on I will let you know and try and have a word in case there are plans to rip the old windows etc out.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Another former Melbourne house in the Bradford district.It's The Woodlands Tavern, on Mill Carr Hill (pronounced Milker 'ill), Oakenshaw, Bradford. This is complete with Melbourne courtiers in the front windows. Had a meal in there a short while ago, and think the landlord said that he'd had new windows fitted, but specified that they had to contain the old motifs. Thios might upset the purists among us, but I think - if my memory of the conversation is correct - that he's to be commended for maintaining tradition.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

drapesy wrote: Mosaic floor at the Cranmer Bank.This is in a different style to the wall-mounted courtier mosaics at the Fforde Grene and the Golden Fleece (which are almost identical).Note how the person who made it has used special smaller tiles to pick out the 2 rolls of hair on the side of the wig.An amazing piece of craftsmanship. I noticed today that the Cranmer Bank has been demolished so this mosaic is lost forever.
Attachments
__TFMF_ltsy2c2qivv3swfrzcrf14by_dbc4c231-e783-40ca-bbf4-9da93950a651_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ltsy2c2qivv3swfrzcrf14by_dbc4c231-e783-40ca-bbf4-9da93950a651_0_main.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The large mirror on page 2 of this threadat the Fountain Head has gone.Seemed to disappear when it changed hands recently.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Another wonderful Mosaic - at the Beech at the bottom of Tong road. (there is an identical sign on the other side of the building) The Beech has been Grade II listed.http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 735820.stm
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Trojan wrote: drapesy wrote: Another wonderful Mosaic - at the Beech at the bottom of Tong road. (there is an identical sign on the other side of the building) The Beech has been Grade II listed.http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 735820.stm Unfortunately Trojan as you will know from a thread you updated this very weekend it doesn't guarantee survival especially if developers want their way
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/