Recycled Lintel in Otley

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Si

Post by Si »

Is it working now, Sirjohn?

jim

Post by jim »

Si, my laptop doesn't show a box with a red "x". There is a paperclip sign following the posting time, clicking which will show the picture after going through two or three steps, or below the line is the invitation "submit query", clicking on which takes you straight to the picture. Perhaps not all computers react in the same way to the current alterations!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jim wrote: Si, my laptop doesn't show a box with a red "x". There is a paperclip sign following the posting time, clicking which will show the picture after going through two or three steps, or below the line is the invitation "submit query", clicking on which takes you straight to the picture. Perhaps not all computers react in the same way to the current alterations! It may be an operating system or browser thing but eith Firefox on Windows XP "Submit Query" as a direct link to the image rather than the red x
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Si wrote: This 1950s shot of Kirkgate from Leodis, shows the building in question. There appears to be a cinema type awning over the pavement (above the car facing the camera.) Does anyone remember this cinema? Blakey? Hi Si,Here is another old picture from a different angle, and there are some comments:http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N ... /lightbox/ (I think that this may be a bad link but you can find it on flickr under 'Kirkgate, Otley, West Yorkshire - postcard, c1950' using the Search facility)The writing on the south side of the canopy says 'Picture'.Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

iansmithofotley wrote: Si wrote: This 1950s shot of Kirkgate from Leodis, shows the building in question. There appears to be a cinema type awning over the pavement (above the car facing the camera.) Does anyone remember this cinema? Blakey? Hi Si,Here is another old picture from a different angle, and there are some comments:http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N ... /lightbox/ (I think that this may be a bad link but you can find it on flickr under 'Kirkgate, Otley, West Yorkshire - postcard, c1950' using the Search facility)The writing on the south side of the canopy says 'Picture'.Ian Clicking on the above link did not work for me, but copying and pasting the whole link brought up a fascinating old image.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Si

Post by Si »

Leodian wrote: iansmithofotley wrote: Si wrote: This 1950s shot of Kirkgate from Leodis, shows the building in question. There appears to be a cinema type awning over the pavement (above the car facing the camera.) Does anyone remember this cinema? Blakey? Hi Si,Here is another old picture from a different angle, and there are some comments:http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N ... /lightbox/ (I think that this may be a bad link but you can find it on flickr under 'Kirkgate, Otley, West Yorkshire - postcard, c1950' using the Search facility)The writing on the south side of the canopy says 'Picture'.Ian Clicking on the above link did not work for me, but copying and pasting the whole link brought up a fascinating old image. I had to do the same.Thanks for the pic, Ian. Did you know there used to be a row of cottages in front of the church, making that view impossible a few years before?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Si,I didn't know until yesterday, when I researched all of the websites in order to find out further information about the cinema. It was then that I came across all of the old photographs of Otley on flickr and elsewhere. It is very easy to just rely on Leodis (which is very impressive in itself).Looking at the Parish Church wall, for as long as I can remember, I never imagined that there might have been houses there, in Kirkgate. I was at a funeral there only a few weeks ago. I have never actually walked around the grounds, and any graves, but I will have a look and see if there is any definitive cut off point which might show the original perimeter of the church grounds. Looking at these views:http://www.vrotley.co.uk/ivewexport/sou ... .htmlthere does not seem to be much room and I wonder if the houses/shops, which are no longer there, were actually built within the church grounds and then later knocked down (apparently in the 1930's), as the church will have been built hundreds of years before. Many churches are built on high ground, or hills, or other prominent places to make them stand out and look important, it seems a bit sad that when the houses were in situ, the church will have been partially obscured.Alot of the other old photographs were great, I particularly liked the one showing the old cattle market, where the Lix car park is situated off Cattle Market Street.I have tried to find out the proper name of the cinema and the 'locals', who I know, have said that it was the 'Kirkgate Cinema', which is appropriate but, possibly, may not be true. Everyone seems to have called it the usual nicknames for local cinemas such as 'bug hutch', 'flea house', etc., etc.Ian        

Si

Post by Si »

This c.1912 Leodis picture taken from Bondgate shows the end three cottages still in place. I think there were seven of them. That end of Kirkgate must have been considerably narrower then (as was the other end at one time - the tithe map shows two buildings in the road. The top of Gay Lane also had a building in the middle of the junction with Leeds Road.) Obviously taking your pig for a walk to the The Bowling Green pub was quite normal in those days. Having said that.........             
Attachments
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_bbf960c1-f2ad-49ff-bc89-676b3532e11a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_bbf960c1-f2ad-49ff-bc89-676b3532e11a_0_main.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

Si

Post by Si »

Here's the 1908 map which also shows the cottages. They must have been tiny. There's also a urinal against the graveyard wall - nice. There's a good pic on Flickr that shows a wedding at the church, with people hanging out of the cottage windows to get a glimpse of the bride.Ian - you're right about churches being built on higher land. The rows of cottages on the hill behind the church are called Mount Pisgah, which, if I can remember my school scripture lessons correctly, was the mountain from which Moses first saw the promised land.    
Attachments
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_dad2b9c7-ec42-4909-953c-d3b2100022b9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_dad2b9c7-ec42-4909-953c-d3b2100022b9_0_main.jpg (230.53 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

Si

Post by Si »

Now you see 'em...
Attachments
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_931636b1-7753-4654-99c0-0d61b0260515_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jxjbf5n33a24ps3nqiv4zmex_931636b1-7753-4654-99c0-0d61b0260515_0_main.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 2809 times