The Monk Bridge Owls and other owls

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Leodian wrote: This is the closer view photo. I like this small carving of a Leeds owl. Have you submitted that to the Owl Trail?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

cnosni wrote: Leodian wrote: This is the closer view photo. I like this small carving of a Leeds owl. Have you submitted that to the Owl Trail?

Hi cnosni. No and it is unlikely that I will. When I informed the Leeds Owl Trail about some easily missed owls at the Calverley Street access/egress to the Central Library (see my posts on September 27 2010 in this thread) it was obvious from the response at the time that they were not really interested. For example on letting them know that where those owls were had lots of litter I was told I should arrange to have that area cleared! That surely should have been done by the Owl Trail people as they would have much more influence.
Last edited by Leodian on Sun 09 Nov, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Some very distant Leeds Owls, carved on a Leeds Council memorial dedicated to the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry at Tyne Cot Cemetery, Passaendale, Belgium.    
Attachments
Leeds Arms Tyne Cot Passaendale 2.jpg
Leeds Arms Tyne Cot Passaendale 2.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 13434 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Just reminded me. A article from the Washington Post re the Leeds Owlshttp://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel ... story.html

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: Just reminded me. A article from the Washington Post re the Leeds Owlshttp://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel ... story.html Thanks for that link uncle mick. It is good and easy reading. There are many sections that I could extract but I shall just post this one that I particularly liked:-"I suspect that Leeds’s problem — if you can call it that — is the strength of the Yorkshire identity. It’s an extraordinarily proud county. Britons from elsewhere joke that Tykes, as Yorkshire folk are known for reasons unclear, believe that they’ve got the best of everything: the friendliest people, the best beer, the most successful cricket team, the tastiest fish and chips.On that last point, actually, they may be right. During a wander around town the day before, I’d walked past a fish-and-chips shop outside the market: The distinctive smell of beef drippings — which is to say, cow fat, in which all self-respec­ting Yorkshire chippies cook their battered fish — wafted into the street, invoking a Proustian recollection of a previous trip to Leeds".I never thought of fish & chips invoking a Proustian recollection!

BJF

Owl on Sugar Well Hill

Post by BJF »

owl.jpg
owl.jpg (992.01 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
Owl 2.jpg
Owl 2.jpg (973.61 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
On the Gatepost where the path meets Potternewton Lane.

LS1

Re:

Post by LS1 »

Leodian wrote:And now the pair on the left side that I also photographed on July 22 2010.
They're all up Calverley St side of the library building. Not sure they're all gold though...

Leodian

Re: Re:

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote:
Leodian wrote:And now the pair on the left side that I also photographed on July 22 2010.
They're all up Calverley St side of the library building. Not sure they're all gold though...
Hi LS1.

I'm confused by your "They're all up Calverley St side of the library building" as I clearly stated in my posts (with photos) on September 27 2010 that the owls I referred to are not on Calverley Street but are a pair of owls on the left and right side by the short flight of steps just inside the Calverley Street entrance to the City Library (they are still there, looking as forlorn as before).

LS1

Re: The Monk Bridge Owls and other owls

Post by LS1 »

Just confirming that I thought they were in the same style as those on Calverley Street although not in the same colour. -Could have worded it better, sorry.

Leodian

Re: The Monk Bridge Owls and other owls

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote:Just confirming that I thought they were in the same style as those on Calverley Street although not in the same colour. -Could have worded it better, sorry.
Hi LS1. Thanks for that clarification. :)

Talking of the owls directly on Calverley Street I wonder when (if) that which went 'missing' some while ago will be replaced? I would guess though that the original mould may have been destroyed or lost, so it may be difficult/expensive to do a replacement. It's sad to see the gap where that owl was.