The Monk Bridge Owls and other owls

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

They can be seen on prewar photos of Monk Bridge on Whitehall Road but disappeared during or after the war. Where did they go?I stumbled on this website though:http://leedsowltrail.web.officelive.com/default.aspxSee the owl detectives page, are there any others we can find?    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Owl trivia time The twit twoo call is wrongly thought to be the call of one owl.It's actually "ke-wick" and is the male Tawny Owl calling out for the female, when you hear the ''hoo-hoo-oooo'' it's his lady friend answering back!Aww bless
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Si

Post by Si »

You been watching QI again, Phill?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Si wrote: You been watching QI again, Phill? No.. I'm lucky enough to live over Gledhow Valley woods, I hear and see them regular, Just out of interest i had a little look on the net to see what they were all about.I like them
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Si wrote: You been watching QI again, Phill? No.. I'm lucky enough to live over Gledhow Valley woods, I hear and see them regular, Just out of interest i had a little look on the net to see what they were all about.I like them Just wondered. They mentioned it on the programme once. Another QI animal noise fact, is the "knee-deep" call associated with frogs. Apparently, the only frog in the world to make this sound lives in southern California. A recording of them was used in many early Hollywood films, and so the call became a generic sound for frogs everywhere!    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I've seen thread hijacks in my time but to get from Monk Bridge to Southern Californian frogs in Hollywood films, in four moves, has to be the best! ;-D

Si

Post by Si »

Cardiarms wrote: I've seen thread hijacks in my time but to get from Monk Bridge to Southern Californian frogs in Hollywood films, in four moves, has to be the best! ;-D Sorry about that!I'm now busy looking for owls on Leodis! My apologies!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Si wrote: Cardiarms wrote: I've seen thread hijacks in my time but to get from Monk Bridge to Southern Californian frogs in Hollywood films, in four moves, has to be the best! ;-D Sorry about that!I'm now busy looking for owls on Leodis! My apologies! Twas my fault methinks

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: I've seen thread hijacks in my time but to get from Monk Bridge to Southern Californian frogs in Hollywood films, in four moves, has to be the best! ;-D It's all those interconecting tunnels Phill dug upbtw: local Barn Owl on the roof above open Bedroom window at 3am really is a rude awakening!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There used to be an owl (not real) in the Merrion Centre, on the ledge near the old Odeon cinema. I think it was there to scare the pigeons out of the place.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.