Welcome to...

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

...Swarcliffe!New "boulder" style stones have been placed on the entrances to the Swarcliffe area off York Road and the Outer Ring Road, which are very similar to the "Welcome to Cross Gates" and "Welcome to Garforth" ones that have appeared in the last few months.It's good to know that in these credit crunched times that there might not be money available to keep the old folks day centres open, but the council can splash out on totally unecessary frippery like this. Honestly!There are no "Welcome to Swarcliffe" signs on the boulders yet (this may require a seperate team of highly trained sign installers), or perhaps these have been nicked and weighed in already...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Not the only incumberance gracing the area, alledgedly for the greater good - have you noticed how many bus stops seem to have grown in length complete with notices advising the occupiers of the adjacent houses that they must not even stop their vehicles in tha extended precinct? Clkearly the arrival of more purple catapillars is imminent.Don't I remember someone posting that one council was getting rid of theirs and joking Leeds had an 'eye' for a bargain?One thing I also noticed is how some of these stops on opposite sides of the road overlap. The effect of this seems to fit the definition of obstruction mentioned in the HIghways act

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chameleon wrote: Not the only incumberance gracing the area, alledgedly for the greater good - have you noticed how many bus stops seem to have grown in length complete with notices advising the occupiers of the adjacent houses that they must not even stop their vehicles in tha extended precinct? Clkearly the arrival of more purple catapillars is imminent. I think it was touched on before on another thread - these new massive bus stop marking are to do with the latest legislation that the bus must be able to pull in fully to the kerb with the stop to allow disabled passengers to board, so they are 3 or more times the length of a normal bus and even longer than the slugs. chameleon wrote: Don't I remember someone posting that one council was getting rid of theirs and joking Leeds had an 'eye' for a bargain? I think that was me - Mayor Boris has promised Londoners that bendy buses will be off their streets before the 2012 Olympics - which will leave a load of unpopular articulated buses less than half way through their planned service life looking for new homes. It wouldn't take a huge leap of the imagination to see these painted purple and dished out as "the future of public transport" in the place of anything that Metro might be after (such as a trolley bus system...). And if you think I'm joking, you might want to wonder where all the 10+ year old single deckers that have suddenly appeared on First routes across the county have just appeared from. chameleon wrote: One thing I also noticed is how some of these stops on opposite sides of the road overlap. The effect of this seems to fit the definition of obstruction mentioned in the HIghways act Quite - you'll also notice on many streets that what were previously pull ins for buses have now seen the kerb extended out into the carriageway, so that rather than the stopped bus being out of the way it actually becomes an obstruction and causes congestion (South Parkway in Seacroft is a good example of this).
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

around my area notices appeared in a couple of bus shelters stating that as they were being used by les than 25 people a day,it was proposed to remove them by 1st December as the upkeep couldn't be justified.there was a number to ring as it was a consultation.I know a lot of angry people rang up and to date none have gone so maybe they backed off,although it could be that they are waiting for the snow to clear!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!