The Yorkshire House to House Electricity Co.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
BJF

Post by BJF »

These are still in existence near Woodhouse Moor
Attachments
__TFMF_rg3tbhaizidd30fkb1dkukmh_d1546f6d-aece-4ac1-9fd0-3f83e5f67d51_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rg3tbhaizidd30fkb1dkukmh_d1546f6d-aece-4ac1-9fd0-3f83e5f67d51_0_main.jpg (400.23 KiB) Viewed 10198 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Nice!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

BJF wrote: These are still in existence near Woodhouse Moor Yorkshire House to House was the first supplier of domestic electricity in Leeds. I am amazed that the manhole covers still exist because the company was given the franchise to electrify Leeds in 1894 and was bought up by the council in 1897. They set up the first generating station at Aire Street, which later became Leeds Corporation Power station.I have a family history connection with YHH.My great grandfather was lured to Leeds with a tempting job offer by YHH when it was setup in 1894, and the whole family moved from the East end of London to Leeds. His sons ( including my grandfather) followed him into the electrical trade. My grandfather & his brother installed the neon sign on the roof of Kirgate market in the 1930s, and he worked for the Yorkshire Electricity Board until he retired.There is an account of the introduction of electric lighting in Leeds and the part played by YHH at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.feen ... tml-ignore the title about hosepipes    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

What a brilliant find BJF - many thanks - and a great back story too !
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

blackprince wrote: BJF wrote: These are still in existence near Woodhouse Moor Yorkshire House to House was the first supplier of domestic electricity in Leeds. I am amazed that the manhole covers still exist because the company was given the franchise to electrify Leeds in 1894 and was bought up by the council in 1897. They set up the first generating station at Aire Street, which later became Leeds Corporation Power station.I have a family history connection with YHH.My great grandfather was lured to Leeds with a tempting job offer by YHH when it was setup in 1894, and the whole family moved from the East end of London to Leeds. His sons ( including my grandfather) followed him into the electrical trade. My grandfather & his brother installed the neon sign on the roof of Kirgate market in the 1930s, and he worked for the Yorkshire Electricity Board until he retired.There is an account of the introduction of electric lighting in Leeds and the part played by YHH at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.feen ... tml-ignore the title about hosepipes     These associations between Leeds past and family past of SL contributors keep cropping up and arte facinating - I always wonder what else is out there just waiting a prompt.There is another thread or two on here in which we also talked about the old power station and associated works and I included a link in there to 'A spark in the Gas Works' from Leodis Leeds there too. Search on here is not good but, you might like to read through the old one if you can find it!    

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

These associations between Leeds past and family past of SL contributors keep cropping up and are facinating - I always wonder what else is out there just waiting a prompt.There is another thread or two on here in which we also talked about the old power station and associated works and I included a link in there to 'A spark in the Gas Works' from Leodis Leeds there too. Search on here is not good but, you might like to read through the old one if you can find it!    I remember visiting the Aire street Power station with my Grandfather when I was very young. So thanks, Chameleon, for pointing me in the direction of the previous thread which I found herehttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... hLight=1It includes 2 photos of the power station at Aire Street/Whitehall Rd, the latest dated 1980. The power station was also visible from the railway approaching Leeds City and appears in the background of a few train spotters photos.eg see 5th photo on this pagehttp://www.davidheyscollection.com/page43.htmIn the previous thread someone thought the Whitehall Road power station was originally built to power the electric trams. In fact , Leeds Tramways had their own electricity generating station built near Crown Point Bridge in 1897.    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

There is just so much gone onto this site over the last couple of years, it's hard remembering where everything is.Con grats on finding it though, a not insignificant achievement in its own right!!!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Found another one of these, much more worn and hardly legible, the southern end of Park Square West.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Found another one of these, much more worn and hardly legible, the southern end of Park Square West. (I've reported the posting fault Cardi - fingers xd!)

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

BJF wrote: These are still in existence near Woodhouse Moor Great find BJF.Where abouts is that one please? I wouldn't mind a shot of one.Cheers
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!